• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another loose steerting thread....sorry

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
yea, I was planning on changing them out because I really think one side is installed incorrectly. I know most web sites recommend 4 degree bushings, but would it hurt to step up to the 7 degree? Any brands recommended over others?

I can't remember where I got mine or what degree I have but you can look on most vendor websights and see what they recommend as far as your 3.5 in. lift.I'm thinking 4°

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
yea, I was planning on changing them out because I really think one side is installed incorrectly. I know most web sites recommend 4 degree bushings, but would it hurt to step up to the 7 degree? Any brands recommended over others?

No it won't hurt at all, 7 degree bushings no matter what lift is what I always do.

ChrisC74

Started with 4 degree w/ my 3.5" lift and changed to 7 degree - my less "darty" very stable now.

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
I just ordered a 7 degree 14 piece bushing set and a dropped pitman arm. I'll post the results when I am done. I began to disassembly the front end last night.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
That's interesting that a tire shop could not check your alignment, it has been a wail since I had one done. You may have to go to a alignment shop, instead of a tire shop.By the way, nice Bronco !!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I hope there are more locations to check an alignment than that place! Either pretty unsophisticated equipment or they didn't want to help you. Never heard of a machine that couldn't check an older rig, but they are getting pretty high-tech and dedicated these days, so maybe that's normal.

It's hard to check truck linkages for looseness with the tires off the ground believe it or not. Even when they're well worn, they resist movement by anyone but the strongest strongman with a prybar! But since you say they're fairly new, then they should be fine like you said.
But for the full test, leave the full weight of the rig on the ground and have a helper saw the wheel back and forth about a half-turn or so, to make the tires squirm on the ground. While that is going on, closely inspect every joint and junction and nut and bolt for any flex, cracks, spinning, or side-to-side movement that is not directly moving the wheels.
It's the easiest and quickest method to check every linkage and even the frame behind the box. A crack you never knew existed could be sitting their completely closed and hidden until the torque of the steering works against the weight of the truck and friction of the tires, and opens up clear as day.

Any suggestions to what could be causing the very sensitive steering response?

As far as what could be making it darty, it's STILL the tires. Your test tires might have been fine, but you then had completely mis-matched tires between front and rear. And that one thing ALONE could make an otherwise good driving truck completely uncontrollable and dangerous under the right circumstances.
If you want to be sure, swap all four tires and see how it drives. I bet it changes it's manners drastically.

Paul

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
Yeah, I hope there are more locations to check an alignment than that place! Either pretty unsophisticated equipment or they didn't want to help you. Never heard of a machine that couldn't check an older rig, but they are getting pretty high-tech and dedicated these days, so maybe that's normal.

It was a brand new place with a younger guy working there. I guess they are just interested in high volume sales, something easy. I even asked him if I could try to hook up the lasers to the tires to check the toe in and toe out and he said they would not even do that due to the age.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
NO, its called hiring people that don't want to go that extra mile to help someone, or just have no clue about their job. Like auto parts stores. I would put it on the ground with the weight on the suspension like, Paul said, then cycle it to see if its loose some where. It may be something simple, and find a good aliment shop, to get some numbers, on camber and caster.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I get alignments at Firestone. Just be hands on with them and make sure they go by the numbers you want rather than what is in the computer.

PaveBronco

"We jacked the front of my bronco up off of the ground to check everything, and everything checked out fine. The steering shaft, steering box, tie rod ends, ball joints, and bearing are all tight and have been replaced recently."

The front has to be on the ground to check for wear, just rock the wheel LT and RT. looks like the parts you ordered will help a lot.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just noticed the Jeep sharing space in your driveway too! Guess someone in the family dares to be different, eh?;)
Great pic by the way. Good looking rigs hanging out together and a classic "wife shot" by the looks of it.
Watch out it doesn't get used as evidence against you the next time there's some disagreement in how you spend your honey-do time!

I wonder what the guy's excuse would be when someone with a '92 Jeep comes in, with a 5 on 5.5 conversion and old-school wheels with new tires on them?
Strange, but maybe there's a data shortage in their computer because it costs extra to buy the '91 and prior software?

It'd be great to set the toe-in now for sure, and to check your caster numbers before you replace the C-bushings. If the numbers are worn off the old ones, you may never know how much you increased.
At the very least, in case you can't get an alignment check before the swap, compare the relative offset of the old bushings to the new ones before you put them on. That way at least you can see if they look slightly different in offset.

Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
Just noticed the Jeep sharing space in your driveway too! Guess someone in the family dares to be different, eh?;)
Great pic by the way. Good looking rigs hanging out together and a classic "wife shot" by the looks of it.
Watch out it doesn't get used as evidence against you the next time there's some disagreement in how you spend your honey-do time!

Junior drives the jeep powerwheel because I have never seen a bronco power wheel. My godchild has a Camaro convertible powerwheel, it is pretty cool too.

Oh and the picture you were talking about of was taken by the wife, she was laughing at us. I have figured out that the bronco gets one night of time and honey do's get one night of time. That way I alteranate my time between my stuff and her's and she has not complained about it yet.

Last night I was able to remove my axle and all bushings. My new ones are on the way and should be in tomorrow. I supported my axle by hanging it with with straps from the coil tower and supported the pumpkin with a rolling floor jack. With it hanging, I was able to move it enough to remove the radius arms one side at a time.
IMG_7184_zps24d552b6.jpg

IMG_1952_zps38d92816.jpg

OP
OP
L

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
It turns out the bronco does have a aftermarket steering linkage from a 66 to 75, I had to reorder a pitman arm due to the size of the hole at the drag link.

I finally have the bronco back on the road, and it definitely handles better. I was able to pick up a nice set of used 33x12.5x15 tires locally. So the cliff notes for my steering problem was tires, a dropped pitman arm, and new front end bushings. I appreciate everyone who helped me figure this out.
IMG_1998_zpsa74b1355.jpg