• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another problem!! high Idle.

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
Ok for the past few days I have been fighting my motor. first the starter. Fix, then after I fixed it I drove to work the next day and it idle great. As I level work, for some reason it idles at 2000rpm. So I take apart the carb replaced the needles cause one was falling apart and the secondary float was stuck. Then it starts to flood out then vent tube. Swapped in another set of needles. Fired right up idle fin, for about 10 minutes then same problem occurs it idles at 2000rpm. But the day I replaced the starter and the day before I had a high idle I was the engine really good. Would a bad coil, or ign do this?

mojobronco68

Loc.
Oxford, MS
sounds like your problem is definately in your carb. i dont think your coil or ignition could cause this. you could have too much psi to the carb if your pump is too big. you should be running about 4 to 8 psi on a street motor. if this is the case try a fuel regulator.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
The first things I think of in a high idle issue are, 1- a linkage issue, high idle cam, 2- vacuum leak, from any gasket from the manifold up, also vacuum ports with dried out plugs, 3- distributor loose. That's where I'd start.