• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Stroppe Ambulance surfaces!

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very cool find!

I was talking to Willie last night and he was amazed that it still exited. He remembered it specifically as well as a story of someone (I forget the name of hand, but he remembered it right away) who wrecked one of them driving down from Signal Hill.

Thats right, he mentioned that to me too....on the way back from servicing - must have been early on as I have pics of both when fairly new, and then a handful of the one only, which likely is mine? Tho maybe I have the "wrecked" one - but all the metal shows to be red underneath and not badly wrinkled so I suspect I have the one that didn't get crashed.....tho who knows for sure.....

although.....- there was memory by him of Search and Rescue one as well, and got me to thinking that the propane powered '69 that is now the Kaysinger Racing Bronco may have been the crashed Bronco.....when found, it had a complete Ford LH quarter grafted on and the door of a production Baja Bronco when I got it...so that whole left side got changed at some point. It had front and rear winches and 4.88 gears with a Hone-o-drive on the 3rd member....Set up for going slow.

77Bronco636

Easy paint job for a change for ya!!;)
Great find!! Can’t wait to see this one done!!

71 CA Bronco

Congrats nice find.

My father in law was a Newport Beach Lifeguard in the 60s. We have a picture of him standing by the tower back then. Fit and buff. His wife (my mother in law) made him stand by the same tower in red shorts when he was 80. It wasn't pretty but a really funny picture. They grafted the pictures together side by side (then and now). ;D

House

Contributor
Minutia Militia
Awesome find, can’t wait to see it’s future and more of it’s past...

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Incredible find! Now you just need David Hasselhoff, Pam Anderson and others from Bay Watch to do a promo!

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
That's pretty cool. Great find as usual. If you go the route to getting it back to it's former glory with all the equipment, let me know. I can give you all the period correct scuba equipment to stock it.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's pretty cool. Great find as usual. If you go the route to getting it back to it's former glory with all the equipment, let me know. I can give you all the period correct scuba equipment to stock it.

Thanks man! I do have a pic with all the equipment laid out next to it....

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats nice find.

My father in law was a Newport Beach Lifeguard in the 60s. We have a picture of him standing by the tower back then. Fit and buff. His wife (my mother in law) made him stand by the same tower in red shorts when he was 80. It wasn't pretty but a really funny picture. They grafted the pictures together side by side (then and now). ;D

THats hilarious. What a sport... Sounds like the kind of thing my 80 year old dad would pull off too!

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That" 4" was put on by the previous owner. He had several Broncos and numbered his fleet because he was parting them out - and he could refer to them by number when asking his helper to get certain parts, I assume. In any case, I'm sure subsequent owners after the City, did this and that to the Bronco over the years too, however it doesn't appear anyone lifted it or modified it too heavily.

The one I found here is a 1970. The 74 showed up on ebay in very rusty shape about 8 years ago, near the border of Ca and mexico.

hucklburry rev2

That" 4" was put on by the previous owner. He had several Broncos and numbered his fleet because he was parting them out - and he could refer to them by number when asking his helper to get certain parts, I assume. In any case, I'm sure subsequent owners after the City, did this and that to the Bronco over the years too, however it doesn't appear anyone lifted it or modified it too heavily.

The one I found here is a 1970. The 74 showed up on ebay in very rusty shape about 8 years ago, near the border of Ca and mexico.

I shoulda used a :cool: - but sorta of an honest question.

Nice, can't wait to see progress!

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks man. Actually, a member on here knows someone at the Long Beach city yard who might be able to pull the equipment number on these Broncos and see what files are available if any. Excited to hear! Will report back. Meanwhile here's a pic of the 74.

Attachments

• IMG_3035 (1).JPG
    IMG_3035 (1).JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 142

fordfan

Bronco Guru
That's a really cool one to bring back Andrew! The hand lettering on the side of a Bronco awesome anyway!! LOL... So it had the double Baja bar, wide steelies, Commandos, double shocks, steering wheel and what else? It looks like it had manual steering, which would have been a workout with 10" of tire in the sand!.., no bumper braces.. transmission a manual too?

You gotta have the red revolving light back on top too!..I'll be watching this one!

P.S.. I see bumper braces in the old photo, but not in the fresh photo when found... cut off clean I guess..

Last edited:

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I see a diecast collectable in the future. Vicariously we can all have one.

Awesome find. I have been around long enough to be able to talk about the ones which were thrown in front of me and available for sale. You know like we all talk about the muscle cars and other rides as well. Your find helps me drag those "should of snagged it" back out of my memory bank. The Denver Bronco I passed on, the Baja Bronco my dads friend had bought new. Just to name a few.

Love your work and happy you are able to get the survivors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really like that shaped rear bumper. Was it a full custom stamping you think? Or a modified stock one? Guessing the latter, but curious how it was done and why.

Paul