• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another tire thread

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Avoid the Super swampers if you plan on spending much time on the pavement they are a bitch to balance and wear quick.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Not hummer wheels, originally was going to go with new 17" rim and Toyo's but it adds up quick 2 grand quick.

Yeah, it gets spendy - no bout adout it.
But, as you know, you'd have a much bigger selection.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It depends. Dowd says he does mud and logging roads do get muddy. I know for a fact the BFG AT's suck in mud. QUOTE]

Now thats funny stuff right there.
If I recall correctly (and I do), at last years Fools event , my street rig , on 33 BFG AT's buzzed right through the same mud hole you damn near had to get winched out of with your trail rig.;D
I was the next truck behind you , you probably don't recall.
My AT's are the pre-KO's by the way , if that makes a difference.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damn , they don't make the Firestine Destination MT in 16.5". Been getting rave reviews last I heard though.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
Damn , they don't make the Firestine Destination MT in 16.5". Been getting rave reviews last I heard though.

As far as I can tell they only offer 35's for 16 or 18 in. wheels? I am not considering because the tire store I like to do business with does not carry and if I buy new rims going with 17". Surprised no one has mentioned the goodyear kevlar.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Now thats funny stuff right there.
If I recall correctly (and I do), at last years Fools event , my street rig , on 33 BFG AT's buzzed right through the same mud hole you damn near had to get winched out of with your trail rig.;D
I was the next truck behind you , you probably don't recall.
Okay...you've lost your marbles and decided to make things up.
I got slowed down manuvering around a pond trying to line up to winch Broncoranch out, and I know that no one followed that line. And that was the only time I had any difficulty.

If you think 33" AT's are better than 37" Iroks in mud, I wouldn't go saying that in public.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you think 33" AT's are better than 37" Iroks in mud, I wouldn't go saying that in public.

;D ;D ;D , No , just my superior driving skills ......ouch:-*

Not sure if it was before or after winching Broncoranch , but you did have a bit of trouble , really , I think it was because your rig is soo much heavier than my 69. That and my generous use of skinny pedal cleared the lugs out pretty well.%)

Rick Roby

Loc.
West Jordan
My Toyo MT are awesome. I run my top off all summer and these toyos are quite. Im 90/10 for street/ trail. They have a great warranty for mileage. Give them a try you wont be disappointed, me and all my buddies love them.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
Still haven't decided leaning towards buying new 17" wheels so that my rim size will match my superduty's so when my truck tires wear out I can swap from Bronco to truck and get new Bronco tires more often. If I do that I will probably go with the BFG MT unless someone has anymore suggestions. I would love to hear from someone who runs TRXUS.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you think that you're going to be swapping from your EB to your Superduty, then you should only be looking at Load Range E tires (or D if you never really haul anything) which will further narrow your choices. I'm switching to 37's soon hopefully and I've got my eye on the Toyo M/T's which have done really well on my brother's rig or the new MTR Kevlar.

I haven't personally run the TRXUS, but I've run into a few guys with them and they seem to do fairly well for a mild mud terrain type tire, however the 2.5" minus rock logging roads seem to chunk them up pretty quick. The guys running them on their Superduty trucks were getting about 20k miles out of them, although they were on the wear bars at that point.

coreyvan77

I too run the Toyo MT's. They do very well in the mud and are super quiet for a MT tire. I can't speak from a longevity standpoint yet but so far so good. No complaints from the former BFG Mud Terrains either however for what it's worth.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
If you think that you're going to be swapping from your EB to your Superduty, then you should only be looking at Load Range E tires (or D if you never really haul anything) which will further narrow your choices. I'm switching to 37's soon hopefully and I've got my eye on the Toyo M/T's which have done really well on my brother's rig or the new MTR Kevlar.

I haven't personally run the TRXUS, but I've run into a few guys with them and they seem to do fairly well for a mild mud terrain type tire, however the 2.5" minus rock logging roads seem to chunk them up pretty quick. The guys running them on their Superduty trucks were getting about 20k miles out of them, although they were on the wear bars at that point.

I run BFG MTs on my superduty now no problems with any thing I tow or haul but I hear you about the load rating. Thanks for the input on the trxus being from western OR you know the logging roads Im talking about. I hunt all the time and I have never owned any tire that I have not at least had one flat from the pounding they take on logging roads. A friend of mine is a logger and he runs Toyos now and they seem to be holding up well.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
The KM2's are the quietest mud tire I've ever ran, really like mine so far. Had a set of swampers before the KM2's, wouldn't ever have another set unless it was a trailered trail rig, no highway miles. Love my BFG's!

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm wondering how a load range D or E would ride on a Bronco. Pretty stiff sidewalls ....

Firestone Destination MT - 315/70-17
34.7" tall
load range D
approx. $226 ea
Click on the "specs" link to see all avail. sizes.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7DESTMT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I stopped at a shop that does mostly semi-tires , but does some cars also , they had a Firestone sign hung up outside. Their price beat the Firestone dealer by $200 for the set , cheaper than Tireracks listed price also ... just another option for pricing. Matter of fact , the guy was suprised to find that the Firestones were cheaper than the Daytons he was trying to push.
Speaking of Daytons , they must have re-worked their MT's. I saw a set on a truck somewhere ..... they were damn meaty and luggy. Haven't found a pic of them online yet. I'm gonna keep those in mind when it's time to re-tire the Bronco also.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
I'm wondering how a load range D or E would ride on a Bronco. Pretty stiff sidewalls ....

Great question I did not even think of that. I just ran outside I thought the load range on my Bronco was a D 35x12.5 but they are a C and my same size same tire on F250 is a D.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I run the 35 krawlers on mine and love them. They are not as loud as the Iroks and only 1/2 inch smaller then the Irok 37's. The trxxus do not last long and are real soft. The new km2's are great and are real good highway driving. The mtrs are great but do not last long.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Great question I did not even think of that. I just ran outside I thought the load range on my Bronco was a D 35x12.5 but they are a C and my same size same tire on F250 is a D.

Spent A LOT of time researching tires for my SD at http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/ and http://www.tirerack.com/, there was A LOT of discussion about going from E's to D's , which is what I did. There is a noticeable difference in the ride (softer) , the guys that trailer near max weight alot said the D's felt less stable , so my concern would be buying a "regular" tire for the Bronco and then have it end up on the very heavy Super Duty.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dowd , more sizing options ..... just about every tire store / manufacturer website has a "specs" link for their tires.
Here is an example from tire rack for Goodyear Kevlars. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar&tirePageLocQty=

Notice in the overall diameter column , it is given in inches , even if it is a metric size tire. The 315/70-17 (34.7") is within 1/10th of an inch of the 35x12.5-17 (34.8").

Just to give you even more sizing options and help drive you insane. :)