• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any experience with Speedi Sleeve?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi, I just installed my first speedi sleeve, very easy install, only scary part was being sure to measure within .003". Pretty sure every shaft on this rebuild will need one.

My question is, after I installed a speedi sleeve on the input shaft to a D20, lubed with Lucas 85w-140 gear oil, then installed the shaft with new bearing into the front assembly, the seal is pretty tight on the shaft/speedi sleeve.

It makers turning the shaft a little stiff, takes what feels like 10-20ft-lbs torque to get it to turn, I also noticed after turning it a bunch a little "black oil" on the edge of the seal as if the black seal has worn a little. The new bearing was very nice and smooth and easy to turn prior to install. The seal was not turned under, nor flipped, nor damaged during install nor appears out of shape.

Normal?

Here is a link to speedi sleeve at SKF::

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...mage_result&resnum=9&ct=image&ved=0CCUQ9QEwCA

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Used one years ago one either the 71 F100 or the 74 Bronco... can't remember now. It was on a rear axle that had quite a grove worn in it where the seal made contact. Or in my case didn't make contact and leaked oil. Put the speedi cleave on and never had another problem!

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thats what I thought Thanks. I'm used to air seals on turbofans...