• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any ideas...?

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Any ideas on how to separate the dust shield from the spindle? I can cut it off, but I still need the spindle separated. Thank you, George
Spindle.jpg

doran4x

Contributor
Spindle needs to be separated from the caliper bracket. The dust shield is sandwiched between the two. Clamp the caliper bracket in a vise. Try using a brass or rubber mallet to free the spindle. A little heat can’t hurt. Also you can use a chisel to get in between the two pieces. Slow and steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2...I would heat the caliper bracket with a torch, as I've always had the best luck with expanding the outer part when it's a difficult shape to put in a press like that.

OP
OP
gmduncan

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
I put the caliper bracket in a vice and tapped on the spindle. Out popped the spindle. Thank you for the help...

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
yeah, the caliper bracket is what's holding it

it's sandwiched. gotta wiggle them apart or torch or find a spot to hammer sometime in-between to separate, but you might mess something up that way.

I ditched my original sheilds in favor of some nice new ones steel ones...I think all the vendors have the same galvanized set and they look good that way.

Don't have a better pic but can take one if you want one:
1707336126622.png

I also think I have my '76 stock ones that are painted black--I think I mounted and then it sat and then I removed.