• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any issue with me using the plastic fan vs. the metal fan on my explorer efi swap?

DFP1129

Loc.
Germantown TN
Just thought I had read at one time that I had to use the metal fan.. But most parts stores ,....I think only carry the plastic version for 96 explorer motors...

Any input is appreciated..

Thanks, David

ransil

Bronco Guru
They only carry the plastic because it cracks, the metal one will last forever.
Nothing wrong with the plastic one

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've used both. The plastic one sits about 3/4" or so more forward. This affects how deep it will be into the shroud. I could not tell any difference in airflow. The clutch is different for each so you can't mix/match fans on the clutch.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have used a plastic Explorer fan and spun it to 6600 (engine) RPM on the dyno and it stayed together. The only plastic one I ever had crack was an '87 Bronco II, and it never came apart. Personally I prefer the greater blade count of the plastic fans.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Question along the same lines. Any problem with using the Taurus Fan with the Explorer Serp?

Thanks
Scott

The electric fan? It may not fit. Might have to move the radiator forward slightly or cut the threads off the waterpump shaft or both.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Question along the same lines. Any problem with using the Taurus Fan with the Explorer Serp?

Thanks
Scott

i have heard of people using it without any mods needed done. now the mustang no way

OP
OP
D

DFP1129

Loc.
Germantown TN
Thanks guys. I guess plastic it is.... at least to start.....

I may hit up the pull a part yard too, just to see if I can find a metal..

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I've got one of each and I prefer the metal one. It's a real solid piece! Plastic one is a backup/ spare for my '69 w/ Taurus fan. If the elec fan craps out I can just pull it and thread the plastic explorer clutch job on and keep on truckin'!

360 4V

BoureeOne:
"Question along the same lines. Any problem with using the Taurus Fan with the Explorer Serp?"

Viperwolf:
"The electric fan? It may not fit. Might have to move the radiator forward slightly or cut the threads off the waterpump shaft or both."

Skiddy:
"I have heard of people using it without any mods needed done. now the mustang no way."

Is it worth running an electric fan? Obviously the fan is no longer drawing energy from the engine but will the alternator draw the same difference on top of what it normally draws from the engine?

i have heard of people using it without any mods needed done. now the mustang no way

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It stills requires the same amount of power to move air. Either it comes directly from the engine or through the electric system which puts a bigger load on the alternator and engine.

360 4V

So I take it that whatever I save in parastatic losses from not running a mechanical fan I add back in via alternator load on the engine?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So I take it that whatever I save in parastatic losses from not running a mechanical fan I add back in via alternator load on the engine?

That's correct. In fact there is probably even more loss in the electrics than the mechanical connection. The only good thing about the electric fan is it doesn't run all the time. But it would probably run most of the time with the marginal cooling system in a Bronco.

360 4V

1)I could get the benefits of not running the fan all the time by running a clutch-fan as comes stock on late model small blocks
2)Would the electric fan prove more efficeint if the cooling system were made more efficient?
What is the limitation of the Early Bronco's cooling system?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
1) yes
2) yes

Radiators are too small. Grill opening is too small. These things were designed around the 6 cyl engine. The V8 was an afterthought.