• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any suggestions on cleaning a full tank of gas?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

I topped of the 23 gallon tank on Saturday night, I was low and pumped 17 gallons. Sunday morning after driving about 10 miles the old girls loses power on the freeway at 75mph and I roll off the highway onto the shoulder.

Turned the key, fiddled with the coil, fuel filter, checked wires, disconnect the fuel line at the filter, pumped about a gallon onto the ground and added a bottle of gas treatment.

Ok, she starts and I make it 1/2 way off the off ramp and it stopped again. Changed the fuel filter with my spare and nothing!

Swapped out my coil and ballast resistor and more of the same...start go... stop... then nothing!

OK, I'M NOT HAPPY! AAAHHHAA!! Wait a minute, WHAT ABOUT THE RESERVE TANK?!?!

So I flip the selector and voila!!! It's alive and I've been driving on the reserve tank with no problems since Sunday.

But now what the heck do I do with 20+ gallons of unusable gas?

Flush/blow out the fuel lines? Drain the tank (into what)?

It's going to be a messy early morning fix and any help or suggestions would be great and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

PS For a moment there I was so pleased with myself for having the reserve tank installed and functioning.

u10072

Bronco Guru
pull off the side of the road at about 10 pm --open up the drain and get on the highway and drive! Sucky part is you are literally setting on fire $50+ -- and get a pair of dish washing gloves so you dont stink like gas for 2 days!

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
pull off the side of the road at about 10 pm --open up the drain and get on the highway and drive! Sucky part is you are literally setting on fire $50+ -- and get a pair of dish washing gloves so you dont stink like gas for 2 days!

Well out here in L.A. the freeways are kinda busy at that time so hope no driver throws out their cigarette cause it's gonna cost more than $50 bucks :D

I would pull and check the hoses before the that selector valve for the aux tank. Better yet replace the gas line hose. You might have a small hole in the line that is causing air to go into the hose and not allowing the gas to go through. Never happened with my bronco but it happened on my ATV that had a bad gas hose with a tiny hole in it. Changed the hose and it worked again so that might be your problem and you can save your full tank of gas!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
As a business owner and as someone who works in the oil and gas industry I'm honestly shocked that another business owner would suggest dumping gas onto the ground as a reasonable solution to this issue!

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Just a thought, and also something others might want to look in to. Look up any company that sells the chemicals to car washes. The soap, wax, etc... Alot of those substances get shipped in 15 gallon plastic containers. Find the right place and they will just give you the containers. Hook up with a guy in the warehouse, give him a few bucks, can get all you want. These containers are awesome for use as auxillary fuel containers. Very well built and thick plastic, yet still light. They come with a handle to carry them. The nice kicker, they have the same openings as a 55 gallon drum. So you can buy or use the same hand crank pump that would be used on a 55 gallon drum. These are popular down in South Louisiana during hurricane season. Even full, easy to move or roll around. Or just use 4 five gallon plasitc gas containers

Scott

Attachments

• 15 gallon drum.png
    15 gallon drum.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 18

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
I wouldn't assume it's bad. The debris at the bottom of the tank is probably causing problems. I'd personally syphon it out into a 5 gallon bucket or gas can and as long as there's no water or junk put it into the reserve tank. Once most is out drop the old tank and clean it-or replace it. The "sock" screen over the fuel line in the tank could be clogged.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will most likely drain the tank, filter the gas and blow out the fuel lines to clear out any debris.

I also NWMP the manufacturer of the tank. I spoke with Wess their tank guru and asked for his advice. He mentioned sometimes the Gates low pressure fuel line gets old and the inner lining collapses when the hose gets old and warmed up. He also suggested removing and testing my mechanical fuel selector valve in case debris is stuck inside of there too. He then mentioned "push on" fuel hose or fuel injection hose as a replacement for the soft lines since its rated at a higher pressure. One thing I do not have is a metal filter at the rear next to the tank, I will be installing one. And the NWMP tank does not have a "sock" on the pick up tube since it would clog more easily with one.

Got to run!
Chris

PS Needabronco, I'm sure u10072 was joking about draining fuel on to the highway but it does sound like something I've seen in a low budget action movie with a bad guy and a cigarette.:cool:

NYLES

Bronco Guru
pump it out with an eletric pump, if its new gas run it through a filter after the tanks clean as you put it back in......if its old gas dont know what ya gonna do to get rid of it

ren71

I have a few empty 5gallon cans and an external electric pump/battery setup to drain/fill if you need help. I'm free most evenings and weekends.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
strain it through a paint filter in a fuller and if it's questionable you can always run it through your mower to burn it off.
might want to drop the tank so you can pull the sender and check out the inside of the tank.

definetly check your fuel lines. i've had new gates blue hose go bad in under 300 miles from the ethanol .it makes the inside look like honeycomb. i only run efi rated hose now

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Nick,
Thanks for the suggestions. Wess at NWMP said the same thing about the Gates fuel line so I just picked up some fuel EFI hose and a new funnel today. I'm going to try straining it, adding alcohol to remove any possible water and burn it down to empty before I drop the tank. Plus I want to order a new fill hose.
:cool:

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
strain it through cheese cloth. you can find it at the local grocery store. Just like the stuff you use to strain the oli after deep frying a turkey. Works great. The sell it to your neighbors for half price to fill up their lawn equipment.