• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributor Advice/Suggestions

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another thing that can effect longevity in a VW situation, especially a buggy (more likely anyway) are heat and vibration.
Think, bouncing over ruts and whoop-de-dos in the hot summer sun. All while being air cooled.
That’s why they make epoxy filled coils. To better handle that heat and vibration.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another thing that can effect longevity in a VW situation, especially a buggy (more likely anyway) are heat and vibration.
Think, bouncing over ruts and whoop-de-dos in the hot summer sun. All while being air cooled.
That’s why they make epoxy filled coils. To better handle that heat and vibration.
Especially since you cannot get the "Tiger-Stripe" points anymore. They were so reliable.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After my third Mopar module on the Valiant that misbehaved or outright failed I tried the 8 pin HEI module.
An 8-pin? Don't you mean the 4-pin? Or is there something out there that makes the fancy newer ones more desirable?
Seems like all the conversions were done using the simpler early 4-pin models. Or at least so I thought...
I've never felt the need to carry a spare D-S II module. Won't hurt, but if you have an original Motorcraft part I'm not sure that you'll ever need it. I would sooner make up a conversion wiring harness and carry an HEI module already mounted with thermal grease on a heat-sink. Overall it would be a smaller package.
Agree. Though I did carry spare DSII modules after all the cheap auto parts store stuff crapped out quickly. My Ford Racing blue grommet model however (made by MSD many years ago) and the old MSD Adjustable Timing Control modules gave stellar service and are still working today. Uh, well... At least they were when I parked them! Sounds suspiciously like someone selling an old rig that's been sitting for 40 years!

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Don't low ball me, I know what I've got! :)

There are 7 pin and 8 pin GM HEI modules out there. They are used in the TBI/TPI ign systems (& maybe later, but those are what I know of for sure), but can be used stand-alone by merely ignoring the terminals that aren't needed. They're nice in that the external connection is made with a metri-pack sealed connector. Unfortunately the pick-up connection is still spade terminals.
This is the module for my old '91 1/2t Suburban w/ 5.7L TBI (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3469404&cc=1301667&pt=7172&jsn=1026):
DM1990XHD_B.jpg

DM1990XHD_PC.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ooh, I like that. Does it still need to be mounted to a heat sink?
Wouldn’t there also be a factory style connector for the last two pins? Maybe something you have to clip off of an existing component?