• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody ever wish someone made a 1.5" front coil?

bjack

I've done the F150 coil thing and I'm not sure if it lifted it all that much or the stock coils were just worn out but it seemed to lift it some. They were thicker but not enough to make a difference.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Oh I agree they are not for everybody, but they are cheap and if you have a little more load on the front and only want 2" or less lift they might make you happy. Thats why I posted the way I did. Let him make an informed desicion not one based on my truck did ..... Personally from my experience there is no need to use the CC814 or CC816. The aftermarket has better springs to gain that type of lift. But under two inches the only hope is the CC810. I have ordered a set, but they do not ship until March 15th. Once I install them I will respost and let every one know exactly where they fell. I will also weigh my from end so the ride ht will mean something. As I am almost happy with the CC814s I am hopefull the CC810s will set me up just fine.

You say that the F150 springs didn't make a difference. They have to. Its Physics. All other things being equal they will make a difference and it willbe notecable. Their unloaded length is an 1-1/2", 2", and almost 3" higher than the stock unloaded length and their spring rates are higher. You have to see lift and you have to have a stiffer ride than stock. Problem is you never know for sure whats in your Bronco until YOU put it in. And sometimes you are not even sure what you are putting in.

The only reason I have CC814s in my Bronco is that JBG sent them to me as a Bronco Specific After market spring that would give me no more than 2" lift without sacrifising ride. When they arrived I just opened the box and tried to install them. They wouldn't fit in the cup so I called JBG and they told me to just grind off the tail so they would fit. I ground off the tail anf installed them. I got over 3" of lift over my stock coils and a rougher ride than I wanted. I then looked at teh box and found I had spent over double for a set of CC814s. I wish I had looked at teh box before I even opened it I would have never installed them. They refused to take them back because I cut off the tail. I was going to buy the CC810s but chose the JBG spring because everybody here on teh site said to get a bronco specific spring, that it would be better than an F150 spring. I even asked JBG if they were just F150 springs and was told they were not. Needless to say they do not get my bussiness any longer. All you JBG fans just leave this alone. Its the truth and we have been through it before I just relayed the story topoinht out you really may not know what spring you actually have even when you buy it yourself. Always look at teh box, measure the unloaded ht, bar sisize and anything else you cna to make dure its the spring you want. I have also seen CC814s shipped from auto parts warehouses when CC810 were ordered because they were out of CC810s and MOOGs production wasn't producing them at the time. In an F150 it makes only like a 1/2" difference an just a little stiffer ride so they get away with it. Just make sure you get what you wanted before you install.

Back in the seventies we used to put the CC810s in broncos and then cut coils off or heat them to get the ride we wanted. We didn't care if it laid down in the cuplike it should we were bullet proof. :) I am not recommending it. Sometimes these swaps were done just to get the higher spring rate for a heavy bumber or winch. No more lift was really desired. Also remeber that these stock springs were new back then, not the worn out stock springs most of us get on our project broncos now. All lift should be refered back to the distance from the topof the axle to the bottom of the frame which seems to be 7". Always measure this before you make a spring change if it is less your springs are worn and it will amek the lift you get from new springs appear to be more than it is.

Back then the easiest to get tall tire that wouldn't break your bank account was a 7.50X16 and they were at most 32" or so based on manufacturer. Even 10-15 LTs were pricey back then and this tire was taller. We would only be looking for an inch at most, body lifts provided the better part of tire clearance. It worked out OK for us anyway because all the ranchers ran them so all the ruts in the road were only that deep and a lightweight bronco could hang in one and go almost anywhere.

When compared to a brand new stock coil (CC812) with stock load, I seem to remeber that the CC810s would give like 1.5" to 2" of lift but its been a while so I really hate to promise anything. The ride was noticeably stiffer but not objectionable in my opinion, in fact they rode MUCH better than the 3/4 and some 1/2 ton trucks of the day.

If you notice the capacity the stock bronco spring is rated for 808#s. Tha means at the compressed ht of 13" it will hold 808#s. the CC810 is rated for 1100#s at 13" CH which means that you would have to load the crap out of it in a bronco to get it to depress to stock ht. You would have to have add 600# or so to the front of the Bronco. Thats a big bumper, winch, steel cable, and a 460 with cast iron heads. :)

But even in stock trim some of us find the stock bronco spring a little on the soft side. The front end tends to bottom out at higher speeds running down bladed earth roads etc. Some of you have addressed this isssue with shocks but that only moves the issue to the shocks where it really doesn't belong. Add just a little weight to the mix and thats why there are quite a few people that use to run the CC810. There isn't enough people out there for the aftermarket to address these minor changes and why bother if MOOG makes these springs and sell them for less than half what a 2" lift progressive spring sell from BC or Toms.

The use of these springs has really fallen off partly because the aftermarket is making some really good springs now that provide lift with out a much stiffer ride, but also because so many people were dissatisfied with the stiffer ride particularly the ride of the CC814s. Also taller tires are so much easier to get and the premium paid not nearly as great dso a lot of people are good with 2" and higher supension lifts. But they are still a vaiable alternative to the more expensive aftermarket springs if you want just a little lift and can tolerate a stiffer ride or have added weight to the front.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
You can buy Moog springs from Summit Racing and Rock Auto. Just put in the Moog part number in the search.