• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone built their own rear bumper?

jamesmorrison

Loc.
Meridian, Idaho
If you have built your own rear bumper, could you send me a picture of it? I am thinking on doing one of my own, and was looking for ideas. The ones at the bronco sites are all fine and dandy, and they can cost $400 too. Metal for one of those things will only run you $36. So if you have a custom made rear bumper, i'd appreciate it if you shared. thanks
james

yellowbilly

Loc.
Auburn, WA
I made my own. Don't look too close though, I was too cheap to buy a real bender and got one of those cheesy ones from Harbor Freight, and it crimped the tube. I was in a hurry (it was two days before SOB). But the idea is there. I think it cost me a total of 50 bucks including the reciever stock.

Got to the photos page:
http://bajabronco.classicbroncos.com

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
Im building one for practice, but not done yet :( I keep getting side tracked. You know AOD, ARB, drive lines. I might get it finished this weekend. I post one if I get there.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I built my front and back bumpers. i will snap a digital pic of them tonight and email them to you tommorrow. I used 2"X4" rectangular tubing. Tapered the ends up. I think they look nice. I am going to build a tire rack this summer. The look something like this:

------------------------------------------
- -
------------------------

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
[quote author=74bronc link=board=5;threadid=17387;start=0#msg132978 date=1052862724]
I built my front and back bumpers. i will snap a digital pic of them tonight and email them to you tommorrow. I used 2"X4" rectangular tubing. Tapered the ends up. I think they look nice. I am going to build a tire rack this summer. The look something like this:

------------------------------------------
- -
------------------------

?????
[/quote]
????? - can't see shait cap'n!!

coby

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
P8260012.JPG

P8260013.JPG

exo-skeleton01.JPG

[quote author=jamesmorrison link=board=5;threadid=17387;start=0#msg132886 date=1052833076]
If you have built your own rear bumper, could you send me a picture of it? I am thinking on doing one of my own, and was looking for ideas. The ones at the bronco sites are all fine and dandy, and they can cost $400 too. Metal for one of those things will only run you $36. So if you have a custom made rear bumper, i'd appreciate it if you shared. thanks
james
[/quote]

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Coby, you went to town with the welder!!! excellent! I'd like to know how to do that myself.

coby

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
[quote author=bpatton74 link=board=5;threadid=17387;start=0#msg133183 date=1052929960]
All I can say about Coby's rig is WOW! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
[/quote]

eh, thanks, but there's lots better rigs out there. This one hasn't seen a trail in a year and a half. Ugh.

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
[quote author=TX 75 Bronco link=board=5;threadid=17387;start=0#msg133832 date=1053086229]
:eek: :eek: :eek:

jeez, coby. looks like santa brought you a tube bender. niiice... 8)
[/quote]

what type of tube bender is it and how much was it?

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
just got my m-tech bender,hypertherm plasma cutter and miller tig welder.
curious to see what i can do ???

tonto

Bronco Guru
Here are some of mine, there actually more of my tire carrier build after I made my bumper.
TireCarrierBuildUp000resize.jpg

TireCarrierBuildUp002resize.jpg

carrierbuildup001resize.jpg

RoundII008.jpg

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Dang, y'all are crazy ::) . Check mine out. REAL simple. Get 2 long thick steel tubes (or one or four) {just get enough to cover the front and back twice and a few feet} pick your width for the spacers, weld. Grind front smooth, weld on rig specific notches to go in the frame. Bolt. Remove, prime/paint, Done.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
[quote author=JaxLax link=board=5;threadid=17387;start=15#msg133970 date=1053119991]
Dang, y'all are crazy ::) . Check mine out. REAL simple. Get 2 long thick steel tubes (or one or four) {just get enough to cover the front and back twice and a few feet} pick your width for the spacers, weld. Grind front smooth, weld on rig specific notches to go in the frame. Bolt. Remove, prime/paint, Done.
[/quote]

???You lost me there