• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone else have issues with new Signal switch and horn brushes

Joe473

I had the pleasure of a Randomly blowing horn starting this past friday night. I thought it was just the deteriorated rubber in the button but apparently it is my brand new signal switch.
I did remove the horn button to confirm.

It appears the brush location molded into the platic signal switch are too close. Specifically the inner brush rides half off the slip ring on the back of the steering wheel. The wear was accelerated by the rough side surface and then caused a shift to make the inner brush contact the outer ring.

This was only 1 year old and yes I did clean the back of the wheel and use slip ring grease. Anyone else have this issue? Do the repro wheel have larger ring to match the newer signal switch? uploadfromtaptalk1439854053057.jpg

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have had that problem, it is extremely frustrating.
After trying a few different steering wheels (stock and a couple of aftermarket wheels), and two different columns, I threw in the towel. I pulled the horn wires out, connected them to a button under the column and that is how my horn now honks. I always meant to get back in there and fix it for good, but its so low on my list of priorities that I may never get back to it.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't seem like it is very common issue. I'll try and find receipt where I got it from and contact vendor to address. Ill let you know if I have success.

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem 2 years ago on my 74. I bought a new turn signal switch from Toms and has been fine since. Maybe you just got a bad switch, I am going to keep an eye out for a NOS switch and pick it up for a spare.

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
Yep I just had the same issue. Changed out the switch a few years ago. Driving around just last month and the wheel would stick a bit and the horn honks. I tried to file down the contacts some but I can still feel it dragging.

Let me know if you come up with something to fix it.