• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone know why someone would install this to the tail light housing?

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
Think it was for a vise or something???

Attachments

• 39B8C783-E5E7-4A62-B604-B5E56B16B270.jpg
    39B8C783-E5E7-4A62-B604-B5E56B16B270.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
Beer and Fish

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
kazman, you Sir are correct! I think he would screw a pipe in there welded to a vice? Not sure.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
If it was an old farm truck I would say they used it to reel out wire on a pipe. Not sure either just a guess.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Dad had an old '74 F-150 back in the early 90's.
Man he bought it from was the second owner.

It had one of those screwed to the back corner.
It was there when the second owner bought it.
He used it to screw pipe into that he made a big umbrella holder for. Like the kindof big umbrella that would go on a table.
He would sit under the umbrella at the beach.
Never found out what its original intention was but it worked great for that fellers umbrella.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Iron pipe flange. Any hardware store. Judging from the paint it has been there a very long time. Why? have to find the original own and ask them.

kazman

Loc.
Kazmania

I'd think that'd be a little high for a vice, and being attached to body not ideal for strength.

OP
OP
Beer and Fish

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
umbrella would be cool while fishing. I think farm truck with are for fencing in horses or cattle seems legit too!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Toilet paper holder that doubles as a bottle opener too of course.%)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another common old-school camping item was a hanger for a propane lamp and/or shower.
And frankly, if it was done correctly, it could even have a single leg for a small platform for a small stove.

With only one base though, that would have been a bit floppy most likely. But the light thing would have been a nice addition.

Paul

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Doing a little forensic analysis... Notice that the paint is chipped on the lower part of the hole... If it was something that was freely inserted you would expect equal chipping of the paint. That mark indicates that whatever got inserted into in, consistently came into contact low and then probably was lifted a bit for insertion. I'm thinking some type of home made "swing away" bracket....

OP
OP
Beer and Fish

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
This makes sense because they did add a “catch” for a swing away bracket to the 66 tailgate!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
A PO did something similar on this 66' I picked up last summer.

20170715_093141_zpsmwrzcqrt.jpg

20170715_093153_zpsyd7pe0uc.jpg