• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running 23 gal and 8 gal Aux tanks

volnut77

Loc.
knoxville
I'm putting EFI on my 77 and thought I'd put the new 23 gal tank in while i'm at it. The thing is I like the original dual tank doors on my rig and thought about leaving the auxillary and having the 23 gal as the main. Anyone do this or have concerns enought to advise not to?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
My advice would be to plumb the 23 gallon tank as your primary, then add an additional pump to feed from the aux to the main tank. Believe it or not that would be a much simpler install than the troublesome 6 port valve to efi both...

gtnorga

what about using check valves to keep the fuel from filling the other tanks instead. Both pumps feed up through individual check valves into a t connector to an accumulator then to the fuel rail. Use an electrical selector switch or switches to switch tanks and senders. Haven't done all the leg work yet, just kicking the idea around for mine. I'm suspecting this has already been thought of or done.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm using a 23 gal main and aux tank. Aux tank was modified to hold 10 gal. I have the 6-port valve and it works well. Plumbing was a nightmare. I probably wouldn't do it again. Too many expensive extra parts needed. If your're going to get a new tank, get an EFI style tank (internal pump) and save some headaches.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have been kicking this idea around also. I was thinking.....ford did it with efi f-150, 250, and 350 so why not just get ALL the parts off one of them and transplant them to a EB

malonejy

Bronco Guru
My advice would be to plumb the 23 gallon tank as your primary, then add an additional pump to feed from the aux to the main tank. Believe it or not that would be a much simpler install than the troublesome 6 port valve to efi both...

This is how mine is currently setup. If I knew how much more the 23 gallon would hold compared to what was supposed to be the stock 12 gallon, I would have just gotten rid of it. Even on road trips, I haven't NEEDED the extra 8 (really 5-6) gallons.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
you could use the original valve setup as long as you install another pump either in the aux. tank or outside the tank. the wiring to the pump can be wired through a switch like they use for the fuel sender. or if you can find the same style switch but just a dual pole dual throw switch. one pole for the senders and one for the pumps this way when you select the tank they will work with one switch. i think this has got to be the easiest and cleanest way to do it with out getting to complicated.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Not running efi butnam running a 23 gallon main with my 8 gallon aux tank. I love having the range especially with gas gauges that are always on the fritz.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I have a 23 main and a 14 gal aux. I used a transfer pump for ease of install.
As soon as I get my fuel gauge working, I will get rid of the aux.%)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
the wiring to the pump can be wired through a switch like they use for the fuel sender. or if you can find the same style switch but just a dual pole dual throw switch. one pole for the senders and one for the pumps

The stock switch is double pole/double throw.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO

Ditto on this. I tried the 6 way valve, and the HP pump was too much for a couple of them, not to mention the plumbing nightmare. I have an 11 gal aux tank and wired up the dash switch to trigger both the gauge and a relay for a cheap low pressure pump that pumps from the aux to the main. I used a "T" into the vent line on the main tank. It really doesn't take very long to empty the 11 gal. aux into the main - maybe 10 minutes. I don't use it all that often, so it works fine.

I always drive my EB to the trail, so it's nice to fill up both and have the extra fuel. I thought it was a safer and handier alternative to carrying a gerry can with fuel hanging off the back. I also have a gerry can rack that I use for water on camping trips.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have a 23 main and a 14 gal aux. I used a transfer pump for ease of install.

Same on my 77 with EFI, 23 main with a 12 gallon aux with a transfer pump, a Carter p4070 if I remember correctly. Relay and switched on the dash. Nice to have the extra fuel without the plumbing nightmare. The extra travel distance is nice too...

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I never had a problem with the 6 way pollak valve myself. Its designed for exactly this purpose. They can be a bit expensive to buy a new one but they are easy to locate in the junkyard. Just look for a Ford truck or Van with EFI and dual tanks. Grab the wiring and the High Pressure inline fuel pump while your at it.

OP
OP
volnut77

volnut77

Loc.
knoxville
Thanks guys. That is a great idea. I keep my stock look, get the extra capacity, and simplify the install. I'm so thankful to live off your hard earned lessons.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you are the only driver, the transfer pump idea should work. I worry about another driver unwittingly switching on the pump and overfilling the main. I think I'd install some sort of interlock switch so it counly be used with the car shut off.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I have both tanks and use the 6 way valve. Never had any problem with it. I am not sure what people are reffering to on "plumbing nightmare" unless they are comparing it to not haveing an Aux tank. It's pretty simple to set up. The downside to it is that you either need to run the external fuel pump or run an internal pump in each tank. I'm not even sure you can run an internal pump in the Aux tank. Luckily I'm runnung an external fuel pump so I didn't need to concern myself about that.