• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running a 700R4

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
jate said:
When you say "correct shift lever" what do you mean? Is there a specific one I should make sure I have?
Make sure the lever is out of a column shifted truck of the same year as the trans. It may involve some minor welding and drilling on the lever to get the ratio correct, but it can be done and it's fairly easy.

Kincade

. Though I think I am going to have Mt. Logan do the work since they have done all the work on my rig up to this point.

They'll do a fine job; the Mt. Logan guys are class acts.

I think the advice I offer regarding Ford automatic transmissions is pretty reliable. I'm sure you have a lot to offer and contribute to this board in your line of specialty. With that I will say this...

1) I have rebuilt several dozen 4R70W transmissions for the local police department here and we have come to the conclusion that Synthetic lubricants, (when compared with regular petroleum based products) will significantly increase the life of the planetary gearset as well as bushing life and thrust bearings in all transmissions in the AOD family.

2) I have performed several conversions using the stock column shifter and have had no problems with detent locations as long as the correct shift lever is installed on the transmission. ~BH

I have no doubt that you have done what you said; and I'm not sure why you took it as an insult to your experience. And I would agree that you have some experience at this. But to play the devils advocate, building a few dozen transmissions hardly qualifies as a scientific evaluation. Was there a control for this experiment? Or is the evidence only anecdotal?

I agree that synthetics CAN increase the life of components; but if it increases the life of the planetary gearset at the expense of the clutches in the torque converter, is it a benefit?

Which brings me back to my original advice: anyone should check with their builder or manufacturer on the use of synthetic fluids. The builder I use does several dozen transmissions a month. And he says NO synthetic fluid.

Again, I don't disagree with you that they CAN work; I said to check with the builder. It all depends on the clutch materials used in the TC, band materials, etc. IMHO, the only benefit the synthetics offer over a good dino lube in an auto transmission is in taking heat; most synthetics can take more heat before they break down, where the dino is more easily overheated and loses its lubricating properties. But synthetic can STILL be cooked, especially in the converter where your temps are not measured. And using synthetics does not preclude them from being baked just like the dino oil. The only way to be sure is change often.

12 quarts @ $5 for mobil = $60
12 quarts @ $1.15 for valvoline = $13.80. 4 oil changes per year. And I still have enough left over for a big mac. ;-)

And FWIW, I'm not anti-synthetic; I use synthetic in all my vehicles; in the motor, axles, tcases, etc; just not my auto transmissions. But I do change the fluid in them 2-4 times a year.

I also have no doubt that you have performed conversions using the stock column shifter. Again, I don't think I was criticizing your method. But this involves using the correct shift lever (as you have noted), welding ,drilling, and a ton of measuring. I said it's EASIER to use the floor/cable shifter, and it is for 90% of the people doing the conversion. If one insists on using the column shifter, I advise them to check, double check, and triple check that the detents are in the correct position in ALL gears. This IS more work than using a cable shifter with the correct gates, or a tunnel lokar style with preconfigured shift patterns. But it would be a shame to ruin an expensive transmission because a $15 project was not set up correctly; and it's much cheaper to buy a $100 shifter and insure it is done correctly.

To each their own; there are many ways to skin a cat, and done correctly, they'll all yield the same result. I just recommend the most efficient way to most people... Like myself, most of us are short on both time and money; so the least expensive way that yields the best end result in the shortest amount of time wins for me.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Kincade said:
I have no doubt that you have done what you said; and I'm not sure why you took it as an insult to your experience.

Kincade,
I didn't take it as an insult. I just added my $0.02 worth based on my experience in hopes that Jate can make an educated decision on what he plans to do. I agree that the person who has to stand behind the warranty should have final say-so on the type of lubricant that is used. Today's 4R70W transmissions do not call for Dexron III like the 700R4 uses, but require the Mercon V formula designation, which happens to be a synthetic blend specially designed for the material used in the factory Torque Converter Clutch, as well as the computer command strategies designed or programmed into the PCM.

IMHO Re; this particular application. Synthetics not only can withstand more heat, but can actually run cooler as a side effect of their ability to reduce friction when compared with Non-Synthetics. Synthetics also tend to have the ability to dissipate heat more efficiently than Non-Synthetics due to the elements in their formulation and more stable viscosity index.

I didn't want to discourage Jate from using his factory column shifter if that was what he wanted. When they are done right, they turn out quite nice, not to mention allowing for more floorboard real estate. Aftermarket floor shifters have a lot more moving parts than factory columns, many of which are vulnerable to dusty conditions. They also have control cables that do wear out occaisionally. In the long run, aftermarket floor shifters depending on which one you buy can end up actually costing much more than one would originally expect. ~BH

Last edited:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
BwoncoHowie said:
I didn't want to discourage Jate from using his factory column shifter if that was what he wanted. When they are done right, they turn out quite nice, not to mention allowing for more floorboard real estate. Aftermarket floor shifters have a lot more moving parts than factory columns, many of which are vulnerable to dusty conditions. They also have control cables that do wear out occaisionally. In the long run, aftermarket floor shifters depending on which one you buy can end up actually costing much more than one would originally expect. ~BH

If you are going to race your Bronco or plan to use it in a high speed/performance fashion, or have and use a high horsepower engine, These are condidions where I would not only use an aftermarket shifter myself, but would recommend it as well.