• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running/ran a Detroit Trutrac?

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
I want a LS for the front and have read the info. on the trutrac and just curious if anyone has used it. I like the idea of a gear type LS vs clutch type. I realy don't want any type of locker for the front.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I have one in the front and love it. It's been in there for about 10 years now without an issue. It's a nice compromise, especially with an ARB in back, for all but the most extreme situations and much safer for driving icy roads.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I had it. I personally hated it. It never locked up when I needed it too. I originally put it in with the intention of driving on the road in the snow and I didnt want a full locker. After I realized I would never drive it in the snow I replaced it.

But, it all depends on what you want it to do. If your planning on running harder trails i'd stay away if not then I wouldnt worry about it.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had it. I personally hated it. It never locked up when I needed it too. I originally put it in with the intention of driving on the road in the snow and I didnt want a full locker. After I realized I would never drive it in the snow I replaced it.

But, it all depends on what you want it to do. If your planning on running harder trails i'd stay away if not then I wouldnt worry about it.

x2-I had one friend who developed the brake skill to apply just enough front brake to get engagement and rock climb with one back in the 90's-he to, replaced it with a detroit locker. IF you see limited "harder trails" then fine.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i really was thinking of a tru trac for the front of mine (mud only) sounds like the only advantages of the tt over ther trac loc is no clutches and will handle the larger tires. sounds like it would almost be better to save the money and get trac loc still pondering that decision and have not ruled out a detroit locker

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have heard many rave about the tru-trac. The only complaint I have heard is that it does nothing if you lift a wheel.

I have a helical posi in the front of the daily driver (front wheel drive Sentra) and that thing does a very good job. very happy with it. Happy enough that I have plans for another in the back of the V8 powered street driven Ranger. Neither of these vehicles should ever see a condition of one of the driving wheels in the air.

OP
OP
byson1

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Thanks for the info. guys. I don't want anything that locks and that's why I'm interested in a LS. I had a factory traction loc in the front of a 69 Bronco and it seemed to do pretty good (mud, hills etc..) I was just curious if the true trac is worth the extra money (over the price of a clutch type).

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I have a true track in the front of mine. Not as good as a locker but pretty close. The big reason I installed it was to help eliminate breaking things and to be able to steer. A little brake pressure gets things to "Lock-up". I've had mine with one tire up in the air and have been able to work the brakes to get it to catch

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I really liked the way mine worked.
If you are talking D30, I'm currently selling it on ebay.
Click on my broncouser link to the left.

Last edited:

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one in the front of my '71, until my last trip to Moab. Functionally, I never had any problems with it. It was smooth and I never had a problem getting it to lock up, even with one wheel in the air. However, they aren't very tough and, sadly, it couldn't take two full days of slickrock.

If you aren't looking for hard-core performance the trutrac is probably a good choice. At least there aren't any clutches to wear and there isn't a need for additives in the gear lube. I was able to drive it on icy roads with out too much difficulty. I just chose not to most of the time.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
if you have FT disc brakes it works good if not it sucks when a tire is lifted.Works 100% of the time unnoticed but can lock if you want it to.

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
if you have FT disc brakes it works good if not it sucks when a tire is lifted.Works 100% of the time unnoticed but can lock if you want it to.

I am hoping it works better now that I have power disks . I just put the booster in a few months ago . I have only got to try it without.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
It was called Powerbraking for a reason.Now it is just the ft that needs it.It takes a little time to get used to doing it right and lugging your motor to match.BTW mine has a Auto in it so I loose a pedal in the effort.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I have a true-track in the front can't say a bad thing about it it was put in about 74 or 5 not sure any more never a problem with it and it works very good. Good luck with your choice.:cool: :cool: :cool: Bill ;D :cool: :D

RangerRob

I have a True Trac in the rear and it works great for me. Mine is a daily driver that sees some rocks (Katemcy), mud, sand, and occasional snow/ice and it does well for me. It replaced a worn out factory 28 spline trac lok so I upgraded to 31 splines and the True Trac and couldn't be more pleased.

If you are into hard core lifting tires off of the ground and don't care about daily driver on the road manners, I would go the Detroit route. For me the daily driver status made me go the True Trac route and I've been happy for going on 5 years without any issues.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I have the TrueTrac in mine along with a line lock on my front disks. I can drag the brakes with the line lock and it's almost like turning on an ARB. The only drawback would be if you have to back up or hit the brakes harder then you have to release the line lock and reset it again.

David

broncobillyusmm

Loc.
Mountain Home
I have a Truetrac in the front and for the most part it works well. Sometimes it acts just like an open diff when the bronco is articulating heavly. The only tire not spining is the one that has the traction. I've never heard of this brake trick so I will have to test it out and see if it works.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I had one in the front for about ten years running 33's and 4.10 gears. I never had any problems with it and did help driving on snowy/icy roads, not the same as open or a clutch type track lock, but very similar. You could feel it engage sometimes on softer snow and it would make the front dart left or right, only under load. On the trail it worked fine but because you have to loose traction on one wheel for it to engage sometimes it is too late and you already lost all momentum. But by far better than a trac lock or open.
I sold it with my low pinion D44 last year and put a Detroit locker in the new HPD44 for some added strength and better trail performence with the 37's and 4.88 gears. For a mostly street or mild trail driven bronco with smaller tires the True tracs work well and are very affordable. If you don't mind the extra cost a ARB or other selectable locker would be better.