• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running T-Bird Calipers?

lagbolt

I just installed 1976 t-bird calipers. My question is does anyone know of a way to hook up a stock t-bird soft line to the caliper. I know BCB sells the lines that will hook up with a banjo bolt. But I already purchased the stock t-bird lines not knowing BCB sells the lines I need.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some people drill out the stock bronco disc brake banjo fitting so the larger banjo bolt fits. I bleieve you need a 7/16" banjo bolt. Probably not a real common item if I remember correctly.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Pictures please. I would think the t-bird line would go easily on the t-bird caliper.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stock tbird line screws into the caliper no banjo bolt like the stock 4wd disc brake setup its not a good angle when used on a 4wd axle.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

I'll have to get some pics tomorrow. The line screws in just fine. The problem is that the stock line screws straight in which then hits the ball joint on the knuckle. The bcb or stock lines use a banjo bolt so the line comes from the side. The line will not work in the stock location because when the brake is pressed in the caliper moves inward causing the line to bend or possibly break at the fitting side of the hose.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

Broncnaz do u know of any adapters I could buy to make the hoses work?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I dont know of any vehicles offhand that take the 7/16x24 banjo bolt so I think you may be stuck ordering them. Then if you still have the brake lines you had for the stock calipers just drill them out so the new bolt fits.

Ok might try the local parts stores supposedly early disc braked jeeps used the 7/16x24 bolt up to about 79. As did scouts up to the 80's. One other application was the mustang II.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've been running the T-bird calipers for 8 years or so but I'm probably little help to you because I bought Chuck's brake lines. I gave up looking in my small college town for bolts/lines to fit and went the simple way out (just this once 'cause everyone knows I always do things the hard way) :)

Good luck and post up when you figure something out! TIA

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I ordered my stuff from summit racing a long time ago before BC sold the parts. So mine are aftermarket parts.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those of you that switched to the t bird calipers, I'm wondering if there was a noticeable difference in stopping power. I now the pistons in those calipers the pistons are bigger. Did you stay with the stock master clynder also. Just thinking of doing the swap too. Thanks

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I think Toddz was using those calipers.

Yes, I'm running them. I've never been able to find a stock hose that worked either. I've used my own -3 stainless braided lines for about 20 years now and they work fine.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

I haven't driven the bronco yet but, I'm using a 1976 f250 master cylinder. Big cylinder and it bolts right up. No power brakes. I'm going to run too the store today. If I come up with anything I'll post it up.

JSBX

Contributor
I haven't driven the bronco yet but, I'm using a 1976 f250 master cylinder. Big cylinder and it bolts right up. No power brakes. I'm going to run too the store today. If I come up with anything I'll post it up.

I have the same set up as lagbolt with the T-bird calipers and F-250 master cylinder. I used the BC lines. I have a 77 rear end with stock drum brakes. My Bronco stops good even with running 36" tires. I am a firm believer in the T-bird calipers. If you use the BC lines you will have to grind some of the lip off that is around the hole where the banjo bolt screws in or the hard part of the line will hit on this lip and keep the banjo from sealing. At lest mine did.

OP
OP
lagbolt

lagbolt

So I had no luck today. I found some brake hoses that would work. But then could get any banjo bolts. None of the auto parts stores had any. So I returned the t-bird hoses. Looks like I'm going to order online at bcbronco. I have no problem ordering online. Just finally had a nice day and I'm off.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I seem to remember that the T-bird calipers are in the neighborhood of having 70% more surface area than the stock Bronco calipers... I can't find my spec sheet but somebody will chime in... :)

mavereq

Bronco Guru
I'm using tbird calipers with BCB hoses. I went from non-power drum to hydroboost with tbird calipers so I can't tell if just the calipers made a difference.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I went from power drum to power disc with tbird calipers and bcb lines. I'm using a stock master cylinder ('68), 33" tires. The brakes are no longer as touchy, and the rears don't lockup first now. A much better braking experience, since the rear doesn't slide out from behind me anymore. So I can stop better than before. If I ever adjusted the rears to work correctly before the swap, my braking would probably be the same. The discs are just more predictable and easier to maintain.

The manual discs on my other bronco with 35's is awful to try to stop. I feel like Fred Flintstone trying to make that thing whoa.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If you use the BC lines you will have to grind some of the lip off that is around the hole where the banjo bolt screws in or the hard part of the line will hit on this lip and keep the banjo from sealing. At lest mine did.
That is often true with rebuilt caliper. The rebuilders mill the hole face flat as part of the rebuild to assure a good seal. The stock lines are diff than the banjo line so it's not a problem but it the hole gets too deep the banjo fitting hits the side of the hole and will not allow a seal. grinding the lip fixes the problem and only takes a sec. once you know what's up

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I went from power drum to power disc with tbird calipers and bcb lines. I'm using a stock master cylinder ('68), 33" tires. The brakes are no longer as touchy, and the rears don't lockup first now. A much better braking experience, since the rear doesn't slide out from behind me anymore. So I can stop better than before. If I ever adjusted the rears to work correctly before the swap, my braking would probably be the same. The discs are just more predictable and easier to maintain.

The manual discs on my other bronco with 35's is awful to try to stop. I feel like Fred Flintstone trying to make that thing whoa.

My guess is the t-bird calipers is the reason the rears don't lock first. More braking on the front means a more balanced brake system.