• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anything I should know about buying a 77?

jj_jenkins

I have my eye on a 1977 Bronco. Other than CA smog rules, what are the positives/pitfalls of this model year?

I'm liking some of the creature comforts available in this Bronco (dash pad, carpet, automatic, etc.) I'm not looking for a crawler project or any hardcore offroad applications. Just family fun with light offroad optional.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree?

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
'77 is arguably the best year in terms of factory equipment. They have big bearing rearends, a disc brake Dana 44 frontend, swaybars, automatic transmissions, and they typically have power steering and brakes. The only mechanical issue I can think of is their crappy inverted Y tie rod setup. That can be changed out if you're planning on lifting it.

I'd definitely go for it.

A decent read for you:

http://www.76bronco.com/page/page/1982005.htm

wheelsblank27

Loc.
Yea, I don't like look of the gas cap covers, or the function of y tye rods, and the early 70's EB s have a lot of the power features you are looking for, ( steering, brakes) also big bearing axles. sorry I live in Cali. And am partial to pre 76'. Also it's really easy and fairly inexpensive to do any of the mentioned upgrades, I just swapped a auto in place of the 4spd in mine.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
With my '77 I've had a bit of trouble locating aftermarket rear quarter panel cover to fit. Also the carpet is cut a little different in that area. If you buy your carpet or vinyl floor from ACC, they will let the material run wild in that area for a custom fit. I ended up just using the factory Ranger quarter panel covers and refinished them. I have always liked the gas doors. It keeps the gas from drooling down the sides and damaging the paint like a lot I've seen. There is really nothing wrong with the "Y" steering as long as you keep the front differential open. I even think it makes a better handling setup on the road. Unless you're doing a real live restoration, I wouldn't get too hung up on year models. It's pretty much "parts is parts". It's more important to find a good rust-free car to start with.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
The only other downfall I can think of would be (depending on which state you live in) would be stricter emissions requirements.
Don't know your location,but smog laws can be a real pain. As far as creature comforts any year can be equipt with the things you mentioned. Unless you find a diamond most of the things have been rebuilt,changed of removed. With a 40 year old truck even the things that look original may not be.
There are a lot of Doctored up Broncos for sale,take your time,ask questions and look under that carpet you want to see if the floor exists .. I think the only option they all had were Leaks.....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As much as people complain about the steering linkage, in stock configuration (not lifted) it has been said to be the best driving broncos made. I am sure the sway bar helps some too but improved linkage geometery and a tighter ratio steering box do good as well.

The '76 and '77 have the most modernization and refinment, also the worst emissions stuff stacked on them. The '77 has a few one year only items that don't really matter. Fuel doors is the biggest asthetic difference. The big banjo rear axle is an upgrade for the hard core off-roader. The rear main gas tank is attached a little different. Nothing really a show stopper.

For what you describe your wants (and not what others may think you want) the '77 is a very good choice. A '76 would be just as good.

FYI, the dash pad, carpet, automatic were all options all the way back to '73. Power brakes only came as factory option after '76. But parts swap between years real easy. Some of the modern upgrades are better then the factory upgrades (hydroboost trumps factory vacuum booster for example).

Then the odds of actually finding a good condition 35 year old truck optioned the way you want is very slim.

OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

Thanks everyone. I'm in CA so I have the emissions hurdles. I found a 77 that has sub 80k original miles on it, "one family" owner, and the only obvious modifications are cut fenders. I don't like the idea of the front suspension giving me grief if I choose to lift it. How much modification is required for a 2 to 3 inch lift on the 77? I will want to get a little larger than stock tire under it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With cut fenders you can run up to a 33" without a lift. How much larger are you wanting to run?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
On a 3" lift you'll probably have to lengthen the transmission shift rod, longer brake hoses, fuel tank lines. These are all easy modifications. The steering linkage should probably be changed, there are several options, lots of experience on here to help you once you get to that point. You could just let one of us midwest guys by it as emissions aren't as tough here,lol. Good luck, I say go for it.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
'77 is arguably the best year in terms of factory equipment. They have big bearing rearends, a disc brake Dana 44 frontend, swaybars, automatic transmissions, and they typically have power steering and brakes. The only mechanical issue I can think of is their crappy inverted Y tie rod setup. That can be changed out if you're planning on lifting it.

I'd definitely go for it.

A decent read for you:

http://www.76bronco.com/page/page/1982005.htm

Just make sure the '77 you're looking at actually has the '77 peices on it.. Big bearing axles, ps, pb, etc...

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had a 76 and now a 77 bronco and have never had any issues with a 3.5 so and a 1 inch bl with
35 s on both trucks with a Detroit in the rear and open front diff. Unless you are going to be doing some hardcore wheeling I wouldnt worry to much about the inverted y if you keep the front open like what was said previously they will fold in on themselves with a locker up front.

Most important is smog, if it is stock and original. It shouldn't be that bad , I believe there are dollar limits on what you have to spend. If ALL of the equipment is there. A nice fuel injected motor with the cats really helps in that department of smog.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Just make sure it has all the original 77 parts on it.
Post 74 EBs are a pain to run legally in CA from what I've read. Smog parts.

OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

Most important is smog, if it is stock and original. It shouldn't be that bad , I believe there are dollar limits on what you have to spend. If ALL of the equipment is there. A nice fuel injected motor with the cats really helps in that department of smog.

What's the limit?

wheelsblank27

Loc.
The odometer s read only 99.99k so 80k can be 180 ^ can't really trust anyone really on that one. And if you are planning any motor mods ,don't cuz the c.a.r.b. won't let ya in Cali.

OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

The odometer s read only 99.99k so 80k can be 180 ^ can't really trust anyone really on that one. And if you are planning any motor mods ,don't cuz the c.a.r.b. won't let ya in Cali.

You're right. I can only go on what I have been told about mileage. It doesn't look like 180k to me, but you can sometimes never tell. As far as the engine, probably just tuneup and maybe fuel injection down the road. It needs an exhaust update and that's about it. If CA starts rolling the emissions exemption again I will have freedom to soup it up a bit more.