• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aode 4r70w Transmission

nickm

Loc.
South Houston
C4 driveshaft lengths are the same as the manual tranny lengths, and your current exhaust system is more likely to work with a c4 than a 4R

You should be able to do a c4 conversion for less than $1000 if you shop for a complete bronco setup.
The 4R will cost at least $2000 unless you find someone selling a previously installed setup cheap.
Tom

I tried shopping for a C4 before deciding on the Exploder transmission, I couldn't find one near me for less than $800. Some people think they are made of gold ;D Now I did find a couple on the west coast for $400-$500. But that was before shipping.

Here is the real kicker. When I started my fugly bugly bronco buggy, I sold my c4/D20 to a fellow Bronco brother for $250 (complete from the inspection plate to the yokes). Really, I wasn't trying to make money off it, I was tryin to help the guy out.
Oh well, the look one his face when I dropped it off was great. He was like a kid in a candy store. I wonder if he still has his Bronco.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I have been thinking hard about selling my NV3550 setup for a 4R70W. I see used transmissions at around $300-$400, I was thinking NP205 for $100 Bauminator for $500 and all said and done around $2k? I have to buy driveshafts, do exhaust and run other stuff anyway so now is the time to do it if I am going to?

I am a little concerned though now, I have 35s and 4.11s and it sounds like without a good low end torquey motor you will regret it? If I was running 35s and 4.56 or higher I would be better suited?

This is more of an impact with my DOHC 4.6 as its not as full of torque as a 5.0 or 5.8?

Dennis

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I tried shopping for a C4 before deciding on the Exploder transmission, I couldn't find one near me for less than $800. Some people think they are made of gold ;D Now I did find a couple on the west coast for $400-$500. But that was before shipping.

Here is the real kicker. When I started my fugly bugly bronco buggy, I sold my c4/D20 to a fellow Bronco brother for $250 (complete from the inspection plate to the yokes). Really, I wasn't trying to make money off it, I was tryin to help the guy out.
Oh well, the look one his face when I dropped it off was great. He was like a kid in a candy store. I wonder if he still has his Bronco.

Its been a couple of years, but I bought one that needed rebuilt with D/20 for $500. Shipping from FL to CA was a bit over $100, but the seller split the d20 and C4 to get them in standard shipping boxes for UPS.
I sold my recently rebuild C4 for $700 last year.

Tom

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I have been thinking hard about selling my NV3550 setup for a 4R70W. I see used transmissions at around $300-$400, I was thinking NP205 for $100 Bauminator for $500 and all said and done around $2k? I have to buy driveshafts, do exhaust and run other stuff anyway so now is the time to do it if I am going to?

I am a little concerned though now, I have 35s and 4.11s and it sounds like without a good low end torquey motor you will regret it? If I was running 35s and 4.56 or higher I would be better suited?

This is more of an impact with my DOHC 4.6 as its not as full of torque as a 5.0 or 5.8?

Dennis

The other side of the equation is that you can by a new JK jeep with 32 inch tires and 3.50 gears and an overdrive automatic. Its got a v6 engine rated at about 200 HP.

WIth my 4.88s and 35s, I let OD stay locked up until about 50% throttle, if I had tall gears I would set it to drop out sooner. Anytime I hit a hill or needed to pass I would do it in 3rd. With low gears, If I drop to third I just wind up the engine.
Tom