• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB in rear 9. Anybody having problems

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I recently had a ARB installed front and rear and the rear is giving me problems. It keeps leaking inside the diff. It has been taken out and reinstalled completely and will still do it. It is intermittent now which I really hate. If it's leaking and the truck is off, you can hear the leak. When the truck is running/driving, I can tell it's leaking because of how frequently the compressor kicks on. Anybody else having problems? The front ARB is fine but a Detroit for the rear is sounding better and better.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
I have been running an ARB in the rear of my rig for about two years and have had the line get wrapped around the drive shaft on a couple of occasions when I exploded a ujoint and still do not have a leak. I have run other lockers and am VERY happy with the performance of the ARB (except when I had to pay for it)
no one makes a more proven selectable than ARB.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Great link Ken, Here is the best idea I have found to fix the old style seal. The old style 9'' ARB has a problem with the seal sliding off the carrier just a bit causing it to leak. I had to fix mine. I did it a little different than this but this picture shows a really good way of solving the problem. the addition of the home made c clip and the 3 screws into the adjuster should solve any further problems.

Attachments

• Seal Hsg Clamp 1.jpg
    Seal Hsg Clamp 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Seal Hsg Clamp 2.jpg
    Seal Hsg Clamp 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 50

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
ARB did away with the old style locker. Their"new" one is supposed to have addressed this problem . I had the original one and had problems with it leaking. ARB gave me 10% off of a new one when the original failed again. I am now having problem w/ the new one not engaging. I have yet to take it apart and find the problem though. I haven't had any problems w/ the D44 ARB, just the 9"...would I buy another one???? Depends on what else is on the market, but I haven't been too impressed w/ the ARB in the 9"....

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What the part numbers for the old and new? When I get one for the rear I don't want to end up with an old one.

OP
OP
malonejy

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I spoke with ARB customer service and they were surprisingly easy to work with. Of course I do need have the rear end opened up again and get some pictures for them. They did say the the 9 inch and some of the Toyota rear ends have problems with leaking when not installed correctly. They seem confident that they can fix the problem when they see pictures. I do hope I can work it out because the ability to lock and unlock with a flip of the switch is great!