• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are US ARMY Broncos Common?

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
I just bought a Bronco. ;D #3
It is starting to get a little interesting: :eek:

It was monochromatic OD Green (from the factory) Hardtop, grille, and all.
No paint code, and an 830106 DSO. (Marti says Gov't special Fleet order 0106, item 0201, and paint code MX7041072)

Dash is off white, and the Fender mounted mirrors were bright white.
Straight 6 170 with 55 amp alt, pcv, and thermactor.
Special order included rear reflectors, heater, rear seat, snow tires, and 850 lb front springs.

No Radio.

Military Data Plate is missing, but i found where it had been attached, to the center of the dash.

Also sanded the doors down very slowly and found "U.S. Army" and the serial number below that.

Anyone have any experience with a Bronco like this?

I would really like to find pictures of this type of special order Bronco, in original condition.

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
I don't have any experience with a Bronco like that, but it sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of it in it's current state?

OP
OP
kflavin

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
Yeah,

I plan to. Very Little rust, uncut, and all original in terms of major body parts and drivetrain.

I just want to see how much information is out there, so i can head in the right direction.

Sort of looks like Ford may have built the rear bumper, similar to stock, but not and it has a 4" trailer connector, like you find on old school MB's.

OP
OP
kflavin

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
I don't have any experience with a Bronco like that, but it sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of it in it's current state?
Nope, but If this tropical storm ever clears, I'll post some.

Here are two pics I found on the IMDB for cars. (scroll down for the second one) Mine would have matched this one exactly (minus the weird grab rails). I even found where my grille had been drilled for the light covers.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_59703-Ford-Bronco.html

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
My first Bronco was a Air Force vehical that we bought it at a military auction around 1974.

It had some funky hitch on the rear, that I assume they used to tow equipment around the air field.
It was also a 170 strait 6

OP
OP
kflavin

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
My first Bronco was a Air Force vehical that we bought it at a military auction around 1974.

It had some funky hitch on the rear, that I assume they used to tow equipment around the air field.
It was also a 170 strait 6

What year Bronco was it?
Was the hitch a pintle hitch?
Mine was equiped with one in the past.
Do you have any old pics? :D

Thanks.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Do you have a vin #? or know the year.

OP
OP
kflavin

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
Wanna' sell it? :) I couldn't resist... good find truely something unique, and on top of that it is a BRONCO :)

Stay in touch, anything is possible.
But for the time being, i want to learn more about this one.
I've only had it for 2 weeks!

I'll post some pic later this week, as the weather clears.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
my dad remembers a few of them when he was in in the mid 70's they were special use mostly for parades when they had someone important with them.

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
my dad says he drove one at wright patt. It was supposed to be a commanders car. He had to put so many miles on it monthly or it woud have to stricken from inventory. I wish he had a picture of it. He took pictures of every lame thing he could find in viet nam but no pics of the bronco once he got stateside. I could hit him. just kidding

OP
OP
kflavin

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
SACHEM,

Thanks for the story.
Everything is useful at this point.
There just does not seem to be a lot of onfo out there.
And every story has a detail in it that might help later.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Fairly rare item as a lot didnt get out to the public after there military service. Not sure on actual numbers but this is only the second time I've heard of someone actually having one. I think a orginal restoration would be in order it might command a higher than normal price if sold. Either way its kind of a piece of history lucky find. wish I was that lucky

OP
OP
kflavin

kflavin

Loc.
High Springs, FL
Fairly rare item as a lot didnt get out to the public after there military service. Not sure on actual numbers but this is only the second time I've heard of someone actually having one. I think a orginal restoration would be in order it might command a higher than normal price if sold. Either way its kind of a piece of history lucky find. wish I was that lucky

Yes,

Complete luck. I did not know what it was (DSO#, US Army, etc...) untill I bought it off of ebay. I thought I was buying a basic uncut, relatively rust free Bronco.

Just an added bonus I guess.

I also agree that if it is as unusal as it seems, I am going to go completely stock, with a few items that were either part of Ford's Fleet package, or the military's immediate installation, in 1967.

Like the rear bumper, front headlight guards and other options; which are pure millitary, and which are Ford commercial /fleet or special production option?

All questions I hope to answer in good time.

Over the next few months I'll post pics of some of the odd items here, and we'll see I suppose.