• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are US ARMY Broncos Common?

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
US Army he was stationed in Rainbow City, Panama 77-80
US Army Airborne Fort Bragg, NC 75-77

He was a Helo Mech, he drove the Comander around in the Bronco, when he got sent to Panama they put him on the boats the assumed that because they both had props he would be ok. He loved Panama and keeps going back every few years, When he came back to the States in 80 he started racing a 66 EB offroad.

wilkisonjt

Loc.
Jacksonville NC
Here are two pics I found on the IMDB for cars. (scroll down for the second one) Mine would have matched this one exactly (minus the weird grab rails). I even found where my grille had been drilled for the light covers.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_59703-Ford-Bronco.html[/QUOTE]

My best friend is currently stationed at the Citadel in SC attending Officer training, and while visiting today he was checking out my new paint job and mentioned that he was going through the supply shed and saw a Bronco under a cover. When I mentioned something about seeing this one on here a few weeks ago and we pulled it up, he was positive that this is the same Bronco that is still stationed there. He is going to get me some pictures And I will get them posted up here for all. Should be an interesting piece of Military and Bronco History.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
[/QUOTE]My best friend is currently stationed at the Citadel in SC attending Officer training, and while visiting today he was checking out my new paint job and mentioned that he was going through the supply shed and saw a Bronco under a cover. When I mentioned something about seeing this one on here a few weeks ago and we pulled it up, he was positive that this is the same Bronco that is still stationed there. He is going to get me some pictures And I will get them posted up here for all. Should be an interesting piece of Military and Bronco History.[/QUOTE]

I attended the Citadel. They do have a OD Army Bronco that they use for the Friday parades for the General's "Troop of the line". I have been meaning to scan a picture in from one of my Alumni newsletters. They have had it for years (I graduated in 91).

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
not to detract from the original topic, but the uniforms in the linked pictures are a derived from the USMA at West Point SOURCE

that being said, in my 4 years at West Point, I do not remember seeing a single Bronco but can recall many M38A1s, GPWs, etc...although i was not the Bronco enthusiast then that I am now...either way, my interest is definitely piqued as I had only heard of AF Broncos...

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
i would luv to see some old pics of military broncos with original colors and lettering !!

ADNICK

Army Bronco's ?

During my 28 years in the Army I never saw one "Army" Bronco....Plenty of what the public would call Ford "Jeeps", but I have seen Bronco's at Navy and Air Force Bases, and a few at Joint DoD locations.

Would love to know the history behind the ones that are Army Bronco's, wondering how many were "Local Purchase" items?

Great Topic

hot63split

Loc.
Seguin
I just bought one that was US Navy issue (has the brass dash plaque) and I am trying to find out more info on it. It is my understanding that only 120 or so were sold to the Military and only in 1967. Mine was US Navy. Go to U13 Bronco register, he has a lot of information on them. He has a US Army EB. go to www.roadsterU13.com and let him know what you have. I have a odd ball as it is a 1966 U13 Roadster with a 1967 US Navy body on it. Kinda weird but kinda cool.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Not long after I bought mine, my dad and a friend of his were looking it over, and the friend said he remembered the Broncos in Vietnam. He said there weren't too many, but the GIs would beat the crap out of them. I also figured he know what he was talking about because he said holes would rust through 'em in two years. Sounds like a Bronco to me!

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Here is a US air force roadster u13 with a factory soft top, I was trying to buy. No luck. I still want it but the price is toooo high.

bax, you sure that USAF? Dash plaque says "Department of the Interior, Bereau of Indian Affairs". If it was Air Force it should say "Department of Defense" I would think, just like all our other DOD stuff.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I thought my 74 might have been used by the USFS, underneath its that puke green they use, and had a 351W that by all the casting #s was a 74 model engine.

Come to think if it It does have a couple of small holes in the dash,might have been a data plate.....

I remember seeing the rangers at Stone Mountain Park driving one in the mid 80''s, Pretty cool watching him drive it right up the back side of the mountain,
and also seeing some that the Ga Dept of Transportation used for transporting surveying crews.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
bax, you sure that USAF? Dash plaque says "Department of the Interior, Bereau of Indian Affairs". If it was Air Force it should say "Department of Defense" I would think, just like all our other DOD stuff.

Yes I am sure. History on the truck is after the government ( Air force) was thru with them they were put to use in other government divisions. This bronco was a original air force build / DSO

Nickrp

The one im buying next weekend apparently was in service in Vietnam then was sold to a civilian, then to my cousin then to me.

sufa114

mine was military but im not sure which military. anyone have any insight

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The vin may need to be checked out and with any luck, send it to Kevin Marti for a report. They will be able to tell you everything about it.

As far as I can tell, all government broncos were 1967s and 6 cylinders. I have seen and heard of these broncos from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. Read somewhere that they just did not have enough "brute" for the government to keep using them. Very little has been documented about these so any input from who ever is appreciated. And yes most of these service vehicles had after lives in various departments of the government and local public enforcements.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes I am sure. History on the truck is after the government ( Air force) was thru with them they were put to use in other government divisions. This bronco was a original air force build / DSO

Bax, you are very correct on this. tim

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks Tim, I wanted this truck but jut not as bad as the owner wanted me to want it.