• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto Vs. Manual??????/

HorsePlay

Loc.
Middlesex, NJ
Well, my new parts truck has a auto, while my 68 has a 3-speed on the floor. I love sticks, but its nice not to have to worry about shifting in the bronco. Its on 38's, will the auto have any trouble? So basically my question is should I put the automatic in my bronco out of my parts truck, or stick with the old 3-speed until I have enough money to swap in a 5-speed out of a f-150?

randall

i would say go with the auto, i used to have a 3 speed but swapped it out for a c4, and wow!! that three speeds gearing was soooo horrible. It really shines off road, you can go as slow as you want to by just feathering the brake, no stalling. There is a guy i wheel with with an SM420 and 5.38s, so his low range is around 90:1 i believe and i still go in circles around him. Every one else here is gonna try to convince you otherwise, but you wont regret an auto.

72BlueBronco

I like shifting gears but, the convenince of an automatic is nice. For a daliy driver I'd go with the automatic. If it's a second truck for wheeling I'd go with the stick.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
You will be old someday 68HalfCab and in the long run, I think you will be better off with an auto. I am just kind of old and love mine.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Auto, I went to a C4 from a old tired 3on tree and the auto is so nice.. My next trans will be a ZF

randall

alot of it depends on what you are gonna use it for. If i were only gonna drive mine on the street i would have kept the manual, it is alot more fun to drive. But that wasnt my goal, i want it to be as effective off road as possible. So thats why i went auto and i havnt been disappointed yet, i havnt found any circumstance where my 3 speed performed better or even matched my auto. But if off road isnt your focus and you mainly want to drive on the pavement then its tough to beat the fun of a stick.

T

teknalee

if you got the time put the auto in bro.. then when you got the 5 speed set that auto aside and have some real fun with the granny low and the practical over drive =p

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
Go with the Auto if your gona wheel it. If its for street go with a stick. Both of my rigs are auto and many people have asked why???? Then I take them wheeling and they understand.<br><br>PP

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How long until you do the 5 speed swap? If you are planning on doing it withen a year or so, just wait. Unless you just like swapping parts for the fun of swapping parts. The money you save (all that nickel and dime stuff) could get you the 5 speed a little sooner.<br><br>As for will the C4 last with 38s? Depends on a lot. How hard do you push it, how strong is your engine, gearing, what condition the tranny is in right now, blah, blah, blah....<br><br>As for swapping, it could be a good idea, you might decide that you like an automatic better for what you do. Then again, you might be happy with the 3 speed the way it is.<br><br>Basicly, yea you can do it. But only you know the condition of the parts and how you will treat them. It sounds like you want to try it, or you wouldn't have asked the question.<br><br>It's not much of an answer, but we know you will decide one way or another.