• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aux OEM steel fuel tank Stroppe

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
The front tank on my 73 Stroppe Baja has developed pin holes and I'm faced with the common issue of steel vs poly. I've had both in Bronks and IMHO both have pros and cons. This truck is restored original and my concern is value. So, what say yea experts on poly effecting the value ? Also, who carries the most authentic steel aux tank ? Thanks for help.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks. Definitely steel tank, so changed somewhere in life. Why I asked experts. Learn something every time I visit site. Happen to know paint code for correct black hood paint ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are dealing with a restored original, why are you changing from the original poly tank to a steel tank?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Back in the day it was common for the factory side tank to be changed out to a flat sheet steel welded tank. Most of the side tanks were less than 8 gallons when you could fill them all the way up. Especially with the extended the vent tube in the later models. Changing the side tank would get you 12 gallons on the driverside and 11 Gallons on the passengers side without hanging any lower. While the custom rear tanks were available they were very expensive and hung down allot.

Remember back in the day 33 " tires and 2-3 " of lift was big and even few people really ran it because the Bronco was so capable. You just couldn't carry enough gas.

Anyway back then the most common were Arrow tanks and custom gas tanks in El Monte. Stroppe and our other long term vendors were fully capable of making tanks or our rigs.

Arrow tanks still exists I don't know if they still make Bronco tanks. Custom gas tanks went belly up in the early 80's. I bought my pasengerside tank around 1980 from custom gas tanks.
Post a picture of what your tank looks like. If your dead set on your tank a weld shop can cut out the bad and weld in new steel but that will cost you more money than replacing it.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Are you talking about the normal take under the driver's side which is supposed to be plastic OR the "third" tank seen on some Stroppes under the passenger's side which was made of plate steel?

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Aero?

Anyway back then the most common were Arrow tanks and custom gas tanks in El Monte. Stroppe and our other long term vendors were fully capable of making tanks or our rigs.

Arrow tanks still exists I don't know if they still make Bronco tanks. Custom gas tanks went belly up in the early 80's. I bought my pasengerside tank around 1980 from custom gas tanks.
Post a picture of what your tank looks like. If your dead set on your tank a weld shop can cut out the bad and weld in new steel but that will cost you more money than replacing it.

Did you mean Aero tanks?

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
The existing metal tank, under the drivers side, is rusted. Going back with poly.
Thanks for help.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's no code for the black on the hood - nor were any paint codes provided for the Baja Broncos. The black is almost flat - many of the "hot rod" or rat rod paints are easiest to get for a correct look. Less easy here in CA.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember advertisements for an "Arrow" tanks, as well as "Aero" (the current name of a tank company in San Bernardino) and I always assumed that the one had simply morphed their name into the other. But maybe they were actually two separate companies and now Aero is the only one left?

Not sure, but so many things up in the north areas are named "Arrow" somethingorother (lots of business along the old Arrow Highway) that it didn't seem out of place for an Arrow Tanks either.

Paul

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks for all the assistance. Plenty of "rat rods" here in Bama, most daily drivers ! Will pull off some duck tape at Walmart for color sample !