• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle Size Question Please Help Quick So I Can Order Parts

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
How Do You Tell If You Have Big Or Small Bearing 9 Inch?pull The Tire?,measure What?also I Want To Go With 4.88 Gears The D44 In The Front Now Has 350 I Have Another Axle With I Think 4.10 On The Ring It Say 45 11.can I Use The Carrier From The 4.10.inthe Rear I Want To Go With 31 Spline With A Spool But Dont Know What To Order

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go to Wildhorses site and look at the rear end section of their online catalog. They explain how to tell what you have and also have pictures. You should be able to use the 4.10 carrier.

OP
OP
B

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
Go to Wildhorses site and look at the rear end section of their online catalog. They explain how to tell what you have and also have pictures. You should be able to use the 4.10 carrier.

THAT JUST CONFUSES ME EVEN MORE AT WILDHORSES ALL I KNOW IS I HAVE A 71 WITH EITHER BIG OR SMALL BEARINGS?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They give you measurements that you can check against yours.

Maybe someone else can be of more help, but you should be able to figure it out from that.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Two easy ways to tell -

1. Measure the brake drum: 10" is small bearing, 11" is big bearing

2. Look behind the backing plate where the axle tube is attached. If the tube is bell shaped just before it attaches to the backing plate it's a big bearing, if it's straight it's a small bearing

Actually there are some medium duty axles in later years which have the 10" brakes and big bearings, but I think they are pretty rare.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
To find bearing size measure between the axle bearing retainer bolts across the top. All big bearings will measure 3.5" center to center across. The small bearings will measure less. To order axles you need other info also. If you are the first owner and you are sure the diff is stock you can order by the year unless you have a 74 or 76. Some late 74s all 75's and some early 76's had the new big bearing. Because of this and the age of the broncos and the ease of changing rear ends I ask customers that are ordering axles to measure their old axles. It's extra work to pull the axles if you are still driving but when you are ready to install them you have what you need. I have a work sheet on line and in my catalog to help with this. You can use it to order axles from anyone.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Do I Need To Pull The Wheel And Brakes Off To Check It

To use Chuck's method it probably would be easier to take the tire off so you can measure the bolts on the back side of the backing plate. You don't need to pull the brake drum or disassemble the brakes.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Where Is The Backing Plate Sorry To Ask So May Questions But I Dont Know Much About Axles

No problem about the questions :)

First jack up and remove the tire - use jack stands, or otherwise block up the Bronco, because you'll need to stick you head in the wheel well! When you pull the tire and rim off, you'll see the brake drum with 5 studs coming out of it. Look behind the brake drum and you'll see the backing plate bolted to the axle tube. Measure between the top 2 bolts (there will be 4 bolts total) which holding the backing plate to the axle flange.

OP
OP
B

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
my drums are 11 inches and i am pretty sure it measures 3 1/2 one way and 2 the other if this is the case and i wnat 31 spilne with a spool besides that what else do i need?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
For axles go to my site and click on the tech page, on the lift side click on tech tipsthen measuring axles. While you have it apart measure the bearing retainer bolt pattern. The bolts do not have hex heads.