• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Backup light switch with C4 and Lokar shifter.

70 Steed

A PO converted my ‘70 Bronco to a C4. I put a Lokar cable shifter on it. I put a bracket with a switch to control the backup light. However the only switch I could find that would work is a light duty one where the linkage slides by and contacts the switch when in reverse. It is not a regular reverse light switch.

The switch usually fails after about a year and has to be replaced. I’m wondering if anyone here has the C4/Lokar combo and if you have come up with more durable switch/bracket combo.

Please post pics if you have.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I just put a switch on the dash (with a lighted indicator) and manually turn the back up lights on. Nice part is you can use them as work lights in a pinch.

Of course check your state laws, but it was a 100% legal remedy when I had it registered in PA for awhile and that state is EXTREMELY tough on the annual vehicle inspections. The only requirement was that the switch be lighted to indicate its on.

South Carolina doesn't have vehicle inspections or emissions.

OP
OP
70 Steed

70 Steed

Why not just use the stock c4 switch?

You mean like this one?

F25E7FBA-C416-45BB-827C-0E3D490AC056.jpeg

My understanding is (from searching this forum) that it won’t work with the Lokar shifter. You are much more knowledgeable that I am so if there is a way to make it work let me know.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It just depends on how your cable connects to the C4. If you're using a bolt on lever adapter it may not be possible because they bolt on right where the switch goes. It wouldn't be difficult to fab up and weld on a lever that let's you use the switch. Or you might be using a stock C4 floor shift lever which would allow you to use the switch.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
A PO converted my ‘70 Bronco to a C4. I put a Lokar cable shifter on it. I put a bracket with a switch to control the backup light. However the only switch I could find that would work is a light duty one where the linkage slides by and contacts the switch when in reverse. It is not a regular reverse light switch.

The switch usually fails after about a year and has to be replaced. I’m wondering if anyone here has the C4/Lokar combo and if you have come up with more durable switch/bracket combo.

Please post pics if you have.

Skip, do you have a neutral safety switch?

Mark