• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bad or mis-calibrated electric choke

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
my rpm's are all over the place. some days i'll get 10 miles down the freeway, pull off on my exit and the darned thing is still jacked up. if i were to turn the truck off, back on... let the choke rev it up, then tap the gas.. usually it will go back to a smoothe idle, but 90% of the time it doesn't.. it stays high until it decides when it is good and ready to go back to normal. It also will not work at all sometimes..giving me a lower than normal idle..but then an hour later i can hop back in it and it revs up again.

so is it not adjusted correctly, or is it failing or both? i assume that it is sticking both "open" and "closed" but i'm not really an expert obviously on how these things work. could rpm's all over the place be something different? i assumed that the choke is the only thing that can hold the rpms that high...and then be normal the rest of the day. heck i could probably drive the 15-20 miles to work in the mornings without touching the gas pedal!
btw.. it's the edelbrock 650 cfm performer... could it also be a sticking carb?

thanks for any insight
Jeff

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
make sure the linkage is lubricated (dont saturate it just point oil) A lot of times the linkage binds and choke does not work.

when cold the choke should be fully closed. I assume you have an electric choke? I have had edelbrock chokes go bellyup in less than a year. Start it up and it should start to open in a few mins. you will need to bump the throttle a few times to know down the idle. If it dosent move at all it is either not working from a electrical standpoint or is way out of adjustment

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p That sounds like the fast idle cam is sticking spray some carb. cleaner on it and make sure it is free good luck.:cool: :cool: :cool: Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
C

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
man wildbill.. that's a lot of smilies!

thanks for the info guys.. i'll go get some cleaner and check the linkages... then go back to the choke.