• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How bad do you want to check your bump steer?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Piece of scrap metal, I like angle iron.
Clamp one side to the tie rod, the other to the axle tube. Big vice grips, maybe a C-clamp.
Unbolt the front shocks.
Bounce the front up and down.
The more the steering wheel cycles as it bounces, the worse the bump steer.

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Piece of scrap metal, I like angle iron.
Clamp one side to the tie rod, the other to the axle tube. Big vice grips, maybe a C-clamp.
Unbolt the front shocks.
Bounce the front up and down.
The more the steering wheel cycles as it bounces, the worse the bump steer.
6$ vs 600$ …. Yup, I think I like that idea! 👍

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I draw the points on the floor then draw the arcs, soap stone or chalk works best😂

In all seriousness it’s a great tool, I’ve used one (do not own one) but even with it still wound up drawing it on the floor to fix it. Really helpful chasing drivability issues on race cars.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I draw the points on the floor then draw the arcs, soap stone or chalk works best😂
I was following fairly well with the angle iron and all that process…and then you kinda lost me when you started talking about drawing arcs on the floor.

Randy

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I was following fairly well with the angle iron and all that process…and then you kinda lost me when you started talking about drawing arcs on the floor.

Randy
Well, me too. 😂 I’m thinking about it in the vertical plane and the relationship between the track bar and drag link. I ran across this when looking at their digital inclinometer. The bump steer tool doesn’t look like there’s much to it but maybe it has some pricy angle finding tidbits on it to measure actual wheel angle? 🤑🤑🤑

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

Randy
Well, me too. 😂 I’m thinking about it in the vertical plane and the relationship between the track bar and drag link. I ran across this when looking at their digital inclinometer. The bump steer tool doesn’t look like there’s much to it but maybe it has some pricy angle finding tidbits on it to measure actual wheel angle? 🤑🤑🤑
Drawing the points on the floor at ride height, then drawing arcs on the axle end to see how parallel the arcs are through suspension travel.

@nvrstuk has some nice pics in his 500 page build thread, if we didn’t banter and hi jack it it might only be 40, joking of course🤣

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Some people got a little lost but is because you have to look at the problem from above not from the front. You need to imagine as the wheel moves up and down as viewed from the front the entire wheel/tire is moving in an arc due to how it is attached to the vehicle. While it is moving up and down in this arc the due to a wide variety of issues in the steering, as viewed from the TOP the front of the wheel will move and left and right as it you were steering the vehicle. Wheels go up and down causes the wheel to pivot on the steering points causing un-=intended steering or bump steer.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Some people got a little lost but is because you have to look at the problem from above not from the front. You need to imagine as the wheel moves up and down as viewed from the front the entire wheel/tire is moving in an arc due to how it is attached to the vehicle. While it is moving up and down in this arc the due to a wide variety of issues in the steering, as viewed from the TOP the front of the wheel will move and left and right as it you were steering the vehicle. Wheels go up and down causes the wheel to pivot on the steering points causing un-=intended steering or bump steer.
That helps immensely! Never thought about it being the view from above. Still think I’ll go back through nvrstuk’s build thread and peruse it in its entirety…and I may possibly be part of the hijacking. 🤣🤣

Randy

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Pricy inclinometers, indeed!