• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad sound coming from my new Trans...

Zmonster

I just put in a new nv3550 trans in my 74(3wks ago). Yesterday, I was driving when a bad sound came from that area. It sounded like someone threw a rock in the middle of my gears. I stopped and looked around the outside of the Trans(just to rule anything out) and found nothing. I eased back on the road to start heading home and the noise was gone. I did hear what sounded like a "rubbing" sound still coming from the Trans area, that stops when I depress the clutch... Today, I started and ran it around the block and heared nothing... Does anyone have any idea???? The Trans is still shifting fine and is strong.... and I did hear the rubbing noise when it was at ideal in nutral.
There is one thing I am leaning toward but would like some opintions before I get off into a goose chase.... Please help......

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How's your clutch adjustment? The throwout bearing could be just slightly riding on the clutch fingers.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The play at the top is where the bearing clearance is. You could try adjusting in just a little more play.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Do you think it could have been knocked off/loose?

No, there's really nowhere for it to go with the trans in. Is it a new bearing? They wear out after a while and should be replaced whenever the clutch is. They'll have a really short life if they're too close to the clutch fingers (adjustment).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Although I can't imagine this happening to a new transmission, when I had a sound like that it was the rear main output bearing self-destructing. Sounded like a small rock or two getting flailed around inside the case, but went away long enough for me to drive it home.
Started it up the next day and no sound. Stopped and started it again and got the old "marble-in-the-can" sound again.
Pulled it apart and found the failed bearing.

Good luck. Hope that's not the issue in your case.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, on that same tack, what condition is your transfer case in?

Paul

OP
OP
Zmonster

Zmonster

Transfercase looked good from the visual inspec. when I had it down.
It's been 4 days since the noise and I have been driving it around town to see if I can hear it agian.... and nothing has come of it. I'm very puzzeled at this point.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
my transfer case made this kind of noise once,, i shifted it in every position and back to 2hi and has not happened again..