• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bailie Bilt-Project "Quarter Horse"

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Today really got things kicked off when Darrell Lewis, Gordon Bailie and I found a 5.0 HO Roller Motor in a 1990 Lincoln today at the salvage yard. Picked up the engine, computer, ecm, and all accessories for $450.00.

She's getting ready to go under the knife.

Phase 1:
4-Link Front Suspension w/ King Coils - Custom built by Bailie Bilt & myself
4-Link Rear Suspension Coil Over - " "
5.0 EFI
Altas 2-5.0
700R
High Pinion Dana 44 w/ OX Locker - 31 Spline - 4:88 gears
High Pinion Ford 9" w/ Detroit - 35 Spline - 4:88
Etc, etc, etc, etc........

I'll keep you posted as soon as we start this project. It's just around the corner............

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Nice score on the 5.0! I can't wait to see the link suspension in the front and rear. Post lots of pics and tech info. Good luck! :p

honkey84

Loc.
ILL
What Crawln said!!! I would like to see a good write up of a link suspension, and yes that is all I want for christmas!!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
The plan is to definitely take lots of photos and tech. info. We are going to try to design a link system that will be available through BC Broncos. So in other words, Chuck will be involved in this process and lending his advice as this project evolves.

I'll keep you posted!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Well......I received some unexpected assistance from my Brother-in-law this afternoon....so we started gutting Project Bailie Bilt2 to find out exactly what I was in for. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't have any more rust than it did. I expected to have to replace the entire floor, but it looks like I'm only going to have to replace the passenger and driver floor pans and kicks. I'm not going to have to replace the rockers because they will be cut right above the trim. We will more than likely fabricate patch pieces for both strikers.

Man this has got my blood pumping and I'm really getting excited!

Attachments

• Passenger.JPG
    Passenger.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 35
  • Drivers Floor.JPG
    Drivers Floor.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Driver Floor2.JPG
    Driver Floor2.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Drivers Striker.JPG
    Drivers Striker.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Pass Rocker.JPG
    Pass Rocker.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Passenger Floor.JPG
    Passenger Floor.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Passenger Side.JPG
    Passenger Side.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 44

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
i hope my bronco mech. school of hard knocks works up to a project like that! look foward to reading and seeing the progress. what kinda timeframe are you guys looking at?

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Timeframe......Yesterday was not soon enough! Lol.

Actually, I'm going to be doing most of the interior, sheetmetal work here at my place and then we will move the truck to Gordon's to work on the suspension.

The plan is to have the suspension and drivetrain complete by OCBR this October. More than likely it will be ready to climb early summer.

bailiebilt

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Sapulpa
Be nice! Hope you are feeling better!
I think you will be very happy with that color! It will certainly make your "rokrod" stand out!

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Moving right along on the "tear down"......I'll post some new photos this weekend.

The bro-in-law and I removed the doors, hood, most of the dash, fenders, trim and bezels and got most of the engine accessories off and ready to pull.

This little project has me REALLY excited......I can't hardly wait to work on it again!! I did I forget to mention that this truck is WAY better shape than I ever realized......I've got all my patch panels coming in the mail. Hoping to have ALL the rust out of this thing in about a week or so.

2Broncos2Go

Bronco Guru
Gordon's Fun

Gordon had some fun on New Year's Day!!!!
and so did we!

Now tell me if you think there's a better way to spend
New Year's Day.................

now back to 'Bailie Bilt 2'...........

Attachments

• Gordon.jpg
    Gordon.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
New Progress

Spent another hour or so in the shop last night and have just about completed the initial tear-down. Had quite a time getting the fender bolts out of the door posts - but with a bottle of WD-40 and a little sweat and tears - finally got it done.

Once again, I am really excited about the lack of rust in this truck compared to what I thought it had.

I'm going to replace both inner-fenders, pass and driver floor pans and fabricate a couple of little patch pieces here and there. Got everything I need ordered and expecting them to arrive the first part of next week.

I really wasn't planning on getting this far on this EB this early - but now that it is started, I plan on finishing it much sooner than originally anticipated. Gordon and I's original goal was to have the suspension and drivetrain work complete by the next OCBR and then complete the body work afterwards. At this rate, we will have the entire truck complete by OCBR.

Keep posted........we're also buying a 74 Ranger and a 73 Sport that we plan on restoring that we will be selling in the future.

Thanks for watching!! I hope this excites you half as much as it does me.

Dale

Attachments

• Pass Front.JPG
    Pass Front.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Pass Inner Fender.JPG
    Pass Inner Fender.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Driver Side.JPG
    Driver Side.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Windshield.JPG
    Windshield.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Got a "full" day pass from the ole lady this morning and made some serious headway.............man, isn't this stuff just great!?!

If you're reading this and you've never put your own hands on one to this extent, you NEED to. It's not that difficult and when it's done........well, there isn't words.

Got the dash out, cut out both floor pans (gotta love the plasma cutter and air hammer), removed stock 302, removed transmission, removed Dana 20, and removed both drivelines.

Won't be long now and we'll be moving her over to Gordons so we can start building the suspension.

Dale

Attachments

• Passfloor.JPG
    Passfloor.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Driverfloor.JPG
    Driverfloor.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Enginecomp.JPG
    Enginecomp.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Dash.JPG