• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Barn Find" - Stroppe Baja Racer sees the light of day

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
OK, it wasn't resting in a barn, because we really don't have a lot of barns here in AZ. And I'm sure the ones we have don't have Broncos in them. However, like much of home-equity financed America, we do have trailers - lots of them. And this particular Bronco has been sitting in a trailer for the last 4-5 years.

On Sunday, Andrew Norton (bajabronco) and I became the proud co-owners of one of the original Stroppe racing Broncos. This particular one carries the VIN of U13FLC00001. No, we couldn't find it in any of '66-'67 VIN charts either. EDIT - '66 expert Terry Marvel has pointed out that C00001 would indicate an August '67 build (early '68). So we're thinking at this point that it's an early '68 truck.

Becoming the eventual owners of this truck took patience and persistence. I first learned of, and saw the truck in the early '90s when its former owner re-assembled it and built it up as a Glamis dune Bronco and play toy for the Cinders where we held the ACB Stampede for many years. I knew it was a Stroppe race truck but frankly, I wasn't in the salivating mode for them like I am today. As the years passed, I became more interested in the Stroppe race trucks and the former owner participated in the club less and less - finally leaving for good in the late 1990s. As the years progressed, I stayed in touch. I occasionally called, would drop by his work and say hello, occasionally traded emails, etc. I basically let him know that I was interested.

I told Andrew about the truck years ago and it essentially became our little secret. Other Bajas came along to tempt me from time to time but I always held out hope that this truck might someday be for sale. About 4 years ago, Andrew and I decided that the chances of PJ adopting us as his 3rd and 4th sons and giving Big Oly to us was probably just a dream so we decided that if this truck became available, and the price and timing was right, we'd buy it.

An email landed in my inbox about a month ago and I knew what it was about before I even opened it. The price was right and so we made the deal. We know of 5-6 racers still in existence and we believe this is one of two that is a running example of the breed.

The truck obviously has some changes on it. Paddle tires, red paint, a Duff/K-Bar-S hood, and Beard seats were not part of its original livery. We will be receiving the original Bostrom seats and the original hood shortly. It needs clean-up; I've already vacuumed about 10 lb. of Glamis sand out of it. We have 4 slots with 33" radials for rolling stock. We'll get a Stroppe steering wheel back on it. The engine is a dyno'd 450hp 302 backed by a C4. It has headers and straight pipes. It's loud - I awoke my next door neighbors from their Sunday naps yesterday during a show and tell session with some buddies.

We have boxes of parts to sift through. We have the original fuel cell to refurbish. This truck ran on propane for at least one season and we have some of that hardware too.

I'm discovering new and interesting things on it every time I look at it. Tonight I discovered drilled rear brake drums and an unusual rear bump stop arrangement. Tomorrow we'll probably discover something else.

Yes, we're trying to figure out its history too. But that's hard. Stroppe built, rebuilt, and rebuilt his race trucks. They had different drivers, different sponsors, and different paint jobs through the years. Between us, Andrew and I probably have the largest collection of Stroppe pictures on the planet and we're still scratching our heads. We'll have to decide how it will eventually be repainted at some point.

For now, we're happy that its safe in the hands of some serious enthusiasts who appreciate its significance. We hope to be able to show it at Fab Fords next year and perhaps some other shows and share it with as many people as possible. There's plenty to share with this truck and we'll be posting pictures of this time capsule as time permits and as we discover things. We call it the "Red Racer". I like to think it's another variant of NOS - New Old Stroppe.

Todd Z.

Attached are a few pix to show you what it looks like. The "R2" tag was affixed many years ago by Willie Stroppe when he did an inventory of the race vehicles for his father at their shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4251.jpg
    IMG_4251.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_4493.jpg
    IMG_4493.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:

Itsa67

Congratulations that is quite the find. It actually looks pretty cool the way it is...if it weren't for the fact that its a Stroppe! I'm sure you guys will be able to return it to its past glory and maybe even keep the rest of us updated along the way :)

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats on being patient!!! Sounds like one of the best projects of recent finds :)
Karl

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sweet deal, congrats! Glad to know a piece of our history is in good hands!

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Congrats Todd! Wow, that truck couldn't have landed in better hands. Is this the one with the VIN you were asking about a while back? I see alot of zeros in there :cool:

What a score!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Nice find. The U13FL would be a 6cyl roadster but the C00001 would indicate a 76. Strange. Unless the first 0 is actually an 8. But with the truck in hand I am sure your correct on the 0. Do the Frame #'s match?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
What an AWESOME looking bronco - If it werent a Stroppe I'd keep it looking like that!

Q: Whats the handle for thats above the rear view mirror? Some kind of ralley light lever, like Big Oly?

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
How exciting for you. I cant wait to see it in person.
It looks like the handle is able to aim the lights, then tighten it in any position.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It looks like the handle is able to aim the lights, then tighten it in any position.

That is correct. There are two fold-down lights, ala Big Oly (minus the cool wing).

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Congrats Todd! Wow, that truck couldn't have landed in better hands. Is this the one with the VIN you were asking about a while back? I see alot of zeros in there :cool:

What a score!

Yes - it's the one I asked about the VIN for several weeks ago? Now that the paint has been scraped off the plate, I can see it's a 'C' and not a '0'.

Todd Z.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Wow that's cool Todd. Its always interesting to hear what you've got up your sleeve!

Dusty