• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BAT Craziness

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A roadster is really cool and I'm a big fan. The reality is that it is not practical to really enjoy it and limits the current crop of buyers that are driving up the prices. Also remember that most of the bidding happens in the last few minutes and this price will likely change quite a bit.

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
Todays buyers are more about the "Bling" and modern day performance. I'm and old fart and I find the modern Resto mod more desirable.
A roadster is really cool and I'm a big fan. The reality is that it is not practical to really enjoy it and limits the current crop of buyers that are driving up the prices. Also remember that most of the bidding happens in the last few minutes and this price will likely change quite a bit.

Valid points. I get it as I'm currently struggling with drivability vs being a purist. I'm not sure the direction I want to take with my 66.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Valid points. I get it as I'm currently struggling with drivability vs being a purist. I'm not sure the direction I want to take with my 66.
If you consider that the majority of original owners modified them for use and drivability, then you realize that upgrades were always part of the heritage. If you want to collect and show but not really enjoy a daily driving experience then restore it to original. I personally love driving my 66, BUT it has a fuel injected 306, AX15, duff duck suspension, PS, Power disc brakes etc. My Baja will remain stock but it will see little use. Enjoy it and do what makes you feel good about it.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Like many of the rest of you, already EB owners, I watch the prices on bring a trailer with amazement.

Nonetheless, I want you to consider that bring a trailer is not an asset to the marketplace but rather a liability.

They describe themselves as a "curated" marketplace, which means they only list vehicles which they feel are "hot" at the moment. They have become so influential in the valuation of classic cars, including our EBs, as to have created a monopoly in the field!

If you own some other form of collector which may not be "hot" at the moment, bring a trailer is not a resource, as they they may choose not list it. Not only that, by becoming an elitist marketplace, they are negatively affecting the values of all types of cars which they deem unworthy of their site.

I'm not generally in favor of government regulation, but this screams antitrust. If we're going to apply antitrust to pharmaceuticals and oil, why not the collector car marketplace?

Well bring a trailer is driving EB prices out of reach for for the everyday guy, most of us are not here because we're investors but because we actually like the vehicle. If we're fortunate enough to already own one, we take the time to learn about it, care for it and do much of our own work. No thanks to bring a trailer, many regular Joe types of guy with a legitimate interest will no longer be able to join us in our hobby.

I encourage everyone to shun bring a trailer, if you're forced to sell use a legitimate marketplace, and if you need to buy, buy within the community!

Thanks for the rant!

-JB

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would like everyone to quit supporting China as well but it wont happen. I get your point but telling people not to seek the highest amount for their vehicle as possible for the better good is not realistic. I think it does provide a lot of perspectives if you really pay attention to the sales and why they are happening. It can also help avoid some of the pitfalls. Everything has it's good and bad, I choose to learn from it. And yes,I sold a car there and it was successful, we were both happy with the outcome

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Take note all of you sellers, the photography pushed this one beyond it's value. There is a strong lesson about how to get top dollar here. This was a nice Bronco but not nearly as nice as many that have sold for far less. The seller did a great job marketing this one.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Take note all of you sellers, the photography pushed this one beyond it's value. There is a strong lesson about how to get top dollar here. This was a nice Bronco but not nearly as nice as many that have sold for far less. The seller did a great job marketing this one.

[/URL]
911r is one of the top sellers on BaT - thanks in no small part due to his photography - and his cars are usually really good too. I think people often pay more when they're buying from one of the 'beloved' sellers on the site.

On this truck, I liked it, but would've had to take the wheel spacers out so the hubs would come out through the hubcaps properly and I didn't care for the black spray bombing on the undercarriage - that can hide a lot of sins.

I also learned in this thread that another Bronco book is coming out!

Todd Z.

66Uncut

Contributor
Loc.
So. Cal
...and I didn't care for the black spray bombing on the undercarriage - that can hide a lot of sins.
Just went through and looked at all the photos. Quite obvious now that you point it out. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the BaT comments.

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dollar for dollar, the one that sold right after it was a better build for quite a bit less. Still big money though.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
911r is one of the top sellers on BaT - thanks in no small part due to his photography - and his cars are usually really good too. I think people often pay more when they're buying from one of the 'beloved' sellers on the site.

On this truck, I liked it, but would've had to take the wheel spacers out so the hubs would come out through the hubcaps properly and I didn't care for the black spray bombing on the undercarriage - that can hide a lot of sins.

I also learned in this thread that another Bronco book is coming out!

Todd Z.
Todd, I can't parse all the words in these posts. What was the mention of a new book that you speak of?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd, I can't parse all the words in these posts. What was the mention of a new book that you speak of?
One of the posters in the comments section of the '77 on BaT that we discussed mentioned in one of his posts that he wanted to use some of the photos in that listing for a new book on the Bronco that he's writing. That of course caught my attention immediately and so I did some investigating. He's written 2 books on Datsun/Nissan Z's (actually one, and a revised version years later) for Motorbooks (now Quarto), and is a professor at Cal State Fullerton:

https://communications.fullerton.edu/faculty/comm/evanow_pete/

Since it's coming from Quarto, I'm sure it will have spectactular photography. Looking forward to seeing what it will be like!

Todd Z.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
One of the posters in the comments section of the '77 on BaT that we discussed mentioned in one of his posts that he wanted to use some of the photos in that listing for a new book on the Bronco that he's writing. That of course caught my attention immediately and so I did some investigating. He's written 2 books on Datsun/Nissan Z's (actually one, and a revised version years later) for Motorbooks (now Quarto), and is a professor at Cal State Fullerton:

https://communications.fullerton.edu/faculty/comm/evanow_pete/

Since it's coming from Quarto, I'm sure it will have spectactular photography. Looking forward to seeing what it will be like!

Todd Z.
Thanks Todd. Good to know. Kind of funny. After decades of nothing about Broncos, suddenly there are books!

OP
OP
ngsd

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This one kind of surprised me. On the surface it looked nice but when you really start looking hard there are some scary signs to it. It seems odd that it was done at LAL as I thought they did good work. Perhaps they just did a few updates. The telltale signs were underneath with all of the overspray, fresh black on the under pans and what looks like spray foam in the rockers. The pans don't even look like they were replaced but just covered in sheet metal as the cuts are all still there.

TNcowboy

Seller said that LAL didn't think it was spray foam......what? It's clearly spray foam. Look at the picture and see for yourself

This one reeks of Flipper to me

Attachments

• 1FC3DFAB-5026-4B0F-9B0C-5520C3981615.jpeg
    1FC3DFAB-5026-4B0F-9B0C-5520C3981615.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 66

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When I first saw the listing for that truck, I thought it was pretty nice. Then when people started asking questions and making comments about certain things (like the spray foam), it became pretty clear it had a lot of lipstick on it and yeah, I think the guy was just a flipper too (which many people on BaT are - I don't begrudge them for it as that's capitalism at work).

Todd Z.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
There must be a limited supply of people with so much money that they can drop $100k on what to them is a toy. Just what sort of income is necessary to support this sort of thing? I ask in an effort to figure out how long it can keep going.

TNcowboy

When I first saw the listing for that truck, I thought it was pretty nice. Then when people started asking questions and making comments about certain things (like the spray foam), it became pretty clear it had a lot of lipstick on it and yeah, I think the guy was just a flipper too (which many people on BaT are - I don't begrudge them for it as that's capitalism at work).

Todd Z.
I certainly don't begrudge them for engaging in capitalism. What I do take issue with is glossing over and dismissing obvious flaws in order to hoodoo buyers

Not cool