• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bc bronco 23 gallon tank

gick70

I picked up a new old stock,Bc bronco tank,23 gallon tank. What precautions should I know before installing,also who spot welds the struts in place?

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
Open it up and wash it out real good. Notorious for blast media to be inside.
Be sure all fittings are open where welded. Had a couplevthat got welded shut.
I've used them for years and haven't welded the mount. It's just my choice.
Good choice for you for a tank

Stock 77

These tanks were notorious for burping gas out when filling. Maybe they fixed it. Venting improvements were needed I assume.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So were stock tanks when it comes right down to it. My current Aero is a bit finicky when it comes to filling up as well.

I would have to say that most owners do not tack weld the strut sliders, but around here if the Bronco is intended to go off the highway, a higher percentage do just that.
Banging around on the rocks or old hidden tree stumps can take their toll. Tack welding makes for a little more peace of mind on the trail.

x20 on the cleaning. Even if it is a used tank that someone has let sit around for awhile, I would still always give at least a quick flush to any brand of steel tank.
This also gives you the perfect opportunity to remove the sending unit from the tank, connect it to your wires and make sure it operates the gauge through the full range.

Paul

JSBX

Contributor
I did not want to weld mine but wanted a little extra security so this is what I did. I found that one of the straps that holds the aux. tank in will work to hold up the 23 gal tank. It will fit in the factory slot on one side of the frame. I don't have a body lift so I had to make a longer j bolt for the other side of the frame. Put some thin rubber between strap and tank. Now I have a back up so the tank should stay put. The Bronco I did this to is a 76. May have to do a little extra work to make it work on a 77.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I apologize for the hi-Jack but.....

I didn't know there was any welding necessary for the BC/Sherman Tank....
If that's the case then I might as well get that Arrow? tank that you weld the tabs on once ya figure out where they should be. They don't stick down as low since there is no uni-strut they can be a smidge wider, ie not as deep.

Am I thinking right?
....my wife says I don't always think right,

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I apologize for the hi-Jack but.....

I didn't know there was any welding necessary for the BC/Sherman Tank....
If that's the case then I might as well get that Arrow? tank that you weld the tabs on once ya figure out where they should be. They don't stick down as low since there is no uni-strut they can be a smidge wider, ie not as deep.

Am I thinking right?
....my wife says I don't always think right,
When you're right, you're seldom wrong.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is no welding required on these tanks.
What we're discussing is the additional strength, for bashing your tank on the rocks and such, obtained by giving the sliding inserts a quick tack weld once it's installed and positioned where you like it.
You can run the tank for decades without adding a single weld.

So, it's not at all a requirement for installation, and frankly most people never do anything like that even when their intended use for their Bronco is to be out pounding on the rocks. They may think about it, but just never get around to it.
The hardcore rock crawlers will do it, because that's what they're focused on. And the hardest core rock crawler builds likely won't be using this tank anyway, because to them every inch of ground clearance is more precious than an extra horsepower, or mile per gallon is.

We have the suggested extra measure in our instructions to add one more layer of security for those that need it. We "highly recommend" it because it's actually a great idea. As is thread locker when it comes right down to it.

Whether either become an absolute necessity or not is entirely up to the use the individual Bronco-user puts their rig to.

Paul