• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB Kickdown cable replacement

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Is there anyplace that you can purchase a cable and sheath that would work as a replacement for the ones in the BC Broncos EFI kickdown setup? Mine is almost new but it is seized up inside someplace. My setup was working well but then it stopped kicking down. I found that the cable was not moving in the sheath anymore. Removed it and tried to lube the cable up with no luck. It looks like the cable shifted from where I had it routed and dropped against the header. The plastic on the outside melted and the cable sheath is extremely stiff in that area. I'm guessing the inner sheath melted as well and thats why the cable no longer moves. I hate to buy a new one since the cable is the only problem but I can't find just a cable and sheath other than bike stuff and that all appears to be too small for the cable ends in the BC setup. I just discovered the problem tonight so I have not had an opportunity to call BC yet but I think I recall that they only sell it as a kit ( From another thread ). I'll buy another if I need to but thought I would ask before I go that route.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Really?, I thought all the bike stuff was much smaller than this cable is. Are we talking bicycle shop or Motorcycle shop? Did you just buy it by the foot or modify a bike cable for another application to work? Also, do you remember what the cost was?

Jeremy

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Nope I gauged it and on one it is actually bigger and got the SS too, check it out for yourself.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can get the inner cable at any hardware store. Bike shop (or walmart bike area) is a good place to find a complete cable/sheath.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Lokar offers all the throttle cables and kickdown cables. And Lokar has been working with us here at Duff's to make them more Bronco friendly. We have EFI throttle cables that will attach directly to the factory Bronco pedal. They are on the shelf so let us know if we can help.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
You can get the inner cable at any hardware store. Bike shop (or walmart bike area) is a good place to find a complete cable/sheath.

I'll check it out, I don't think replacing just the cable by itself is going to work because I can't even get the original one out of the sheath so I'll look at getting a cable and sheath. I'm not 100% sure why its binding up, the cable is not even distorted in shape on the outside. I guess it doesn't matter. Just have to get it fixed.

Phil, do you have a photo of how your cable routes down the side of the engine to the transmission? I want to be sure I don't screw it up again!

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Lokar offers all the throttle cables and kickdown cables. And Lokar has been working with us here at Duff's to make them more Bronco friendly. We have EFI throttle cables that will attach directly to the factory Bronco pedal. They are on the shelf so let us know if we can help.

I did not know that you had EFI cables at Duff. I'll look at the website. My throttle cable is actually fine. I just melted the kick down cable.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Phil, do you have a photo of how your cable routes down the side of the engine to the transmission? I want to be sure I don't screw it up again!

No pics. Around the dizzy and along the driver side injectors, straight down the top of the trans.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I got the HD bmx housing it is vinyl covered braided inner sheath and then a Teflon liner. The cable I got at a cable company that was a bit larger than BC's and is SS. Can't remember what #'s the cable company gave me for breaking strength, but the piece I brought to them broke much sooner than the SS they sold me. They stretched it on some type of meter/

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
01 dudley, hello and welcome. As far as I know all the throttle cables, EFI and carb connect directly to the EB peddle so don't let Lokar tell you guys that is a big deal. I am a little jealous that duffs got Lokar to make cables for you. They were not interested in making them for me 10 years ago.
Casadejohnson, It sounds like the teflon liner melted and that is why the cable froze.The problem with the bicyle cable is they may or may not be compatable with heat, gas and oil. The cables I sell have to be because you never know when it may come into contact with the above :). The motorcycle cables should be fine. It doesn't matter which cable is stronger but if the cable is strong enough to not stretch. Mostly the bigger the cable the stiffer it gets. Other things make a diff on cables like the more strands the more flexier they are. And SS wire per size and flex is generally stronger. All my cables are SS for strength and so they don't corridor.
PS we do sell the cable and often give them away but by the time you buy the cable and sheath you are close to full cost.