• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bed liner installation questions

bronconv

I've started prepping the interior to apply a bed liner. I'm leaning towards Monstaliner. Right now I'm using a grinder with a wire wheel to scuff up the paint. Would I be better off using a sander of some type? Like a DA sander? If so what grit would you suggest? Also would it be better to remove all the paint to the bare metal? Or is just scuffing it and cleaning it enough?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
bronconv

bronconv

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that on their site. I hadn't look that deep yet. Looks like I can do either and I don't have to take it down to the bare metal. I haven't purchased anything yet, other then their sample pack. I like the smoother texture of their product and that I can roll it on myself.

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
I put in Monstaliner a couple years ago and with the exception of one spot where I didn't scuff well (maybe at all from the shiny paint underneath) it seems to be holding up well. Mine had some other bed liner from the PO that was peeling badly so I took it to bare metal most everywhere and primed first. Rolled it on within the recoat time. The side of the little ledge under the drivers seat is where I missed and I was trying to keep the silver Ford logo so I was gentle and didn't take all the old paint off there.

Due to some other mods I'll have to redo part of it but I can't blame the liner since I took a body saw to tunnel. :cool:

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Don't go to bare metal unless the mfg requires that. Call their tech support for the best advise. I used UPOL Raptor and a host of tools to get my tub prep'd on their advise and it turned out great.

Attachments

• DSCN2787 30.jpg
    DSCN2787 30.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 43

Busters73

Loc.
Jacksonville
I hit all the bare metal spots with their chassis saver then sprayed the Monstaliner on. It came out looking pretty sweet! Pyroclastic exterior, medium gray interior, and black on the bumpers. Use the scuff pads in the kit, wire brush is too fine. (order a couple of extra so your friends can help) Prep is everything, putting the Monstaliner down is the easy part! No mater if you roll it or spray it. Texture is really up up you. You wait for it to set up a bit and hit it with the rollers for more texture. If you are rolling it, buy a few extra rollers. If you spray, cover EVERYTHING in you garage you don't want speckled!

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Don't go to bare metal unless the mfg requires that. Call their tech support for the best advise. I used UPOL Raptor and a host of tools to get my tub prep'd on their advise and it turned out great.

Good advice if the existing paint has good adhesion. I had some additional stuff on mine from the PO with horrible adhesion so I chose to strip it all. A lot more work though.