• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Being offered a trade for my '75 Bronco Ranger and NEED ADVICE!

WonksBronc

Fellow Bronco enthusiasts, I really need help in making a decision on what to do with my '75 Bronco Ranger. When I first acquired my Bronco, I had the intention of restoring it to its original condition, keeping it uncut with the same paint (Sequoia Brown w/ cream-white top) and interior (ginger houndstooth), but over time, my preferences have changed.

Instead of ordering expensive parts and fixing the original uncomfortable seats, as well as the cost to find the right houndstooth fabric for the upholstery, I decided to replace them with the premium buckets seats with folding back seat (from TBP) to save space in the rear, and I absolutely love them. Because I went this route, I also swapped out the houndstooth side door and quarter panel covers to match these new seats. So.......since I've gone this route, I have started to consider changing the paint from it's original Sequoia Brown to all black, green, or maybe even a modern 'bullet' color.

Because I am making so many changes, I have been offered a trade for a '73 Bronco that has almost everything I need, except for a new paint job, but I just want to ensure I am not giving up too much for what I already have and would appreciate some advice. Here are what I consider the 'Pros' and 'Cons' for the swap and I would really appreciate any insight that I may not be aware of, so I can make an informed decision. Maybe I am over-thinking it, but it's a big decision.

Pros for my '75 Bronco:
-rebuilt C4 tranny w/ 3 year warranty as of March 2020
-Power drum brakes
-Spare tire carrier w/ spare
-35-50% of wiring replaced
-1975 was the lowest production year after '68 at 13,125, while the '73 has considerable more at 21,894
Cons:
-needs new hood; not fixable, so would be difficult to match semi-patina color
-uncut and I prefer cut body

Pros for '73 Bronco
-already cut, with decent tires and wheels
-body is in great shape; hood is clean
Cons:
-no Power Brakes (is the cost to convert drum to power disc comparable to power drum to power disc, if I did this on my '75?)
-Unknowns on tranny, wiring

I welcome any and all ideas and opinions. Please help me decide!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You have a Bronco you don't really want and are considering trading for a Bronco that you do want. Seems like a no brainer to me.

If one of the Broncos is clearly more valuable than the other, one party would typically include cash with the trade to make up for the difference.

It does seem like some more research is needed on the '73 for the wiring and transmission. If they're both C4s, as the other party if they'd be willing to let you swap transmissions so you can keep your rebuilt one.

Adding a power booster to drum brakes is generally cheaper than a disc conversion. Vacuum booster for an EB = $200 or so on ebay. Disc brake conversion kit = $750 or so.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At this point, what is the rust factor and overall body conditions, bronco to bronco? If you are not incurring more rust or body work, make the trade.

Tugross302

Production numbers don’t really matter with Broncos. Condition is what it is about. If you want a cut one and the other guy wants an uncut and value is comparable then trade. Also, just because a tranny has been rebuilt doesn’t guarantee that it will last longer than the original in the other bronco. My two cents