• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Benefits of twin stick?

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
My parents don't see or understand why I would want to do this. I know the reasons but would like some more input. I plan to do it while i have the floor pans cut and am installing an automatic tranny. I also need to rebuilt my T-case at the same time. So any thing that I could use to sway them is helpful. Oh and about a job....I currently don't have a job, but I do have the money in an account. They think that I am trying to do too much too soon. But once done with this all mechinical, eletrical, and fuel system have been replaced. SOOOO why be cheap now?

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
[quote author=teknalee link=board=5;threadid=15978;start=0#msg121304 date=1049421481]
save your money and make your own man
[/quote]

yeah thats what i was planing to do.

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
Anyone know whwere to get the bearings to make your own Twinstick?

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
How come there's not a tech article on this. I never thought about making your own. How difficult is it to make one?

Maybe there will be an article in my march edition of bronco driver. Wait, isn't it april. Fashionably late?

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
This is what I've posted before on the benefits of the twin stick...hopefully you can use some of the info to sway you parents...

The advantage is to be able to operate the front and rear differentials independantly. I haven't operated it, or run it yet, my knowledge is solely from what I've learned on the lists.

These are some basic reasons why I chose to get the twin stick:
1) The ability to disengage the front diff in order to turn while in 4-lo when crawling;
2) You have a greater range of operating modes, i.e. 2-hi rear, 2-lo rear, plus same combos up front for front wheel drive;
3) If you break a u-joint on rear shaft...no problem, just put rear diff in N, and pull yourself with the front diff.
4) Shifting is easier...many EB's, especially J-shifts, are a PITA to get outa 4-lo. On my '77, I would have to "pop" the clutch in reverse in order to get the shifter out of 4-lo.
5) From a cost vs. benefit perspective, it's a relatively cheap, and simple upgrade at $150, cheaper if you can make it yourself...and there are web pages with specific instructions on how to do so.
6) I didn't think I could find all the parts that went to my original shifter 'cause I took it out over a year ago, LOL.
7) More levers coming out of the floor are COOL!
8) Chicks dig twin sticks!

It would be better to do the upgrade now while the TC is out, 'cause getting to the shift rails is a PITA unless you cut a big hole in the floor.

HTH

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
[quote author=velpoe link=board=5;threadid=15978;start=0#msg121485 date=1049467713]
It would be better to do the upgrade now while the TC is out, 'cause getting to the shift rails is a PITA unless you cut a big hole in the floor.
[/quote]

Don't worry I have a HUGE hole the entire tunnel is removable.