• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Benefits to adding 1" body lift with a 2.5" susp

Reds71

I see a lot of folks adding a 1" body lift with their 2.5" suspension, any specific advantage? Or disadvantage?

Restoring a '71 that will be primarily a Sunday cruiser and the WH 2.5" System 3 with Bilstein seems to be the favorite after reading a few threads here.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The real advantage is the fact the original bushings are pancaked from age so in my case my bronco was setting 1/2 lower than it should have been. I added the 1 inch BL because it helped get the 33's under fenders better and to me, it has a better stance with the 1 BL. Not to mention I didn't want to NOT do the BL and go stock only to want a 1 inch BL later have spend more money.

True there are some gaps around stock bumpers when doing a BL but I run home made bumpers so it looks fine to me.

Tim

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Went this direction fit 33’s and give me a little more room for future tranny upgrades. The 1” body lift doesn’t leave too much gap (for me) and with the 2.5” SL gets me at a reasonable height for what I use my rig for.
Also, the 2.5” SL doesn’t change the steering geometry as much so not fighting those gremlins.

fishinman78

Contributor
Its nice just to add some extra clearance. Sometimes having that extra 1" can make all the difference when working on your Bronco.

camomog

Loc.
Reno, Nv.
Air cleaner clearance, trans clearance, extra tire clearance, and it does not make much of a change in handling.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
In addition to making things easier to work on, the extra space reduces the heat transferred from the drivetrain to the body. When I added the lift, it made a world of difference in the A/C's performance.