• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best all around sander?

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
My wife is asking for Christmas gift ideas. I am planning to start prepping my Bronco for paint. Please let me know your thoughts on the best single power sanding tool for body work. - Thanks

OP
OP
Bilgamesh

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
I do not currently have a compressor, but that may be on the list too. So, please recommend one of each type. - Thanks

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The first of 2 big investments I made before starting work on my frame off was a welder and a good sized compressor. I got one of the $400 vertical (60gal) ones from Home Depot. It has gotten a lot of use. I generally get a lot of my tools that I use pretty hard from Harbor Freight cause they are cheap and free replacement (with the couple dollar warranty). I have their DA sander and their pneumatic block sander (this was real handy when doing filler work...your arms will thank you). Most of the tools from there are like 25 - 30 bucks.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
We have one of these at work and it works so damn good I bought one from Lowes. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11052 I think I paid just under $100 for it and I havn't used my air DA sander since. Plus I dont have to hear my compressor run or if I'm doing a big job I dont have to wait for my compressor to keep up. When you have it on the #1 setting you can barely hear it. I even use it to polish out paint when I'm done using 2000 grit paper. Oh and it also comes with a foam buff pad if you want to buff out small areas (Door jambs etc.)

OP
OP
Bilgamesh

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
After seeing the sander mentioned above, I wonder if my DeWalt small angle grinder might be sufficient with the right attachment wheel. Does anyone have any experience using one with a sanding wheel? Forgive my ignorance if I am way off. Keep in mind I am not a tool junky and I may never use the thing again. - Thanks

BigO

After seeing the sander mentioned above, I wonder if my DeWalt small angle grinder might be sufficient with the right attachment wheel. Does anyone have any experience using one with a sanding wheel? Forgive my ignorance if I am way off. Keep in mind I am not a tool junky and I may never use the thing again. - Thanks

I don't think the grinder w/ sanding disk would work for paint prep. The sander above is "random orbital", meaning the pad itself moves around, so it is not focused on one spot for too long. With the grinder and sanding disk, you would be more likely to remove too much material, or even gouge the sheetmetal. This is just from what I have learned from trial and error:eek: .

Indybronco

Loc.
Twentynine Palms, CA

An angle grinder will not do nearly what this sander will. I have the exact DA sander in that link and it is the bomb. I've had it for three years and now and used it heavily with no issues. You can also put a buffing pad on it and use it to buff paint. If you do not have the ability to use air tools, you need to buy electric tools that are sturdy and up to the job. This one is up to the job.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I am borrowing an Ingersoll-Rand pneumatic block sander from a buddy to work on my Bronco, and it is one seriously awesome tool. You need a big compressor to keep up but man oh man does it make quick work of sanding Bondo!

It's similar to this model:
http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp-en-262

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
since you said you dont have a compressor, than id get the electric one as above. Air tools are great if you have the air to back them up, but man that electric one is looking pretty sweet to me