• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best aluminum heads

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
Very much wrong. The valves angle right into the stock valve pockets just like they were engineered to. The special pistons are for when you want to run silly high compression ratios for all out racing. When you get into the pop-up pistons then you will want the special ones just for trickflow heads.

Like this?
http://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/Automotive/Ford/302_flat.aspx
Thats a flattop piston, no dome. I was just trying to make sure the guy doesn't buy a set of heads and find out he needs pistons too.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As with any head swap clearances need to be checked. It also depends on how much lift the cam has I beleive that cams with .540 or less lift will be fine its the higher lifts that require pistons with deeper reliefs.(i'll have to find my paper work). But all stock type pistons are supposed to clear. You also have to consider that the pistons your refering to in the link are for stroker engines and will net about 10.5-1 compression.
Heads other than TFS with the 2.02 valves dont have the valves moved to clear so even stock pistons may have to be cut if running a high lift cam. Usually not a problem in most bronco applications. I also dont think its a issue with 1.90 valves.

Last edited:

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
Bottom line is this, ANY aftermarket head is gonna be better than anything that came std on a factory engine. Whether you pick TFS, World products, Dart, AFR, any one of these will be better than the best, most worked over stock castings.