• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Carb Spacer?

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
I know this topic has been beat to death. I have a 73 with a stock 302 and a Ford 2 barrel carb. I have a vacuum leak around where the carb spacer meets the manifold. I replaced the gaskets with no luck. It looks as though the spacer is warped, and since the EGR isn't even hooked up I was wondering what would be a good replacement for the it. I am going to do away with the EGR so I just need a standard one. What would you recommend?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
If your not using the EGR, you need to plug the exhaust hole in the carburetor mounting surface. Hot exhaust gas can eat through aluminum spacers and gaskets. In '73 I think the hole was round and could be plugged with a pipe plug. If the hole is plugged an aluminum or phenolic spacer would work.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
*One (carb spacer) from a 351W 2bbl. I have one now I was looking at sticking on mine, no EGR because the EGR was mounted to the intake itself on the 2bbl 351, at least on the 77 truck engine I grabbed it off of it was.

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A 351w intake won't work on a 302. The 351w intake that has the EGR mounted to the intake not an EGR spacer was a 1980-1991 part made of aluminum. The best and most fool proof way to delete EGR is to get a '72 and earlier intake and use it. Both 289 and 302 intakes work equally well and are cheap at junk yards.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And you're sure they were the correct gaskets adl?
Not sure about the EGR spacers specifically, but it was very common for the wrong gaskets to show up in listings for particular Fords back when. There were several variations, and they had to be EXACTLY the right ones to avoid leaks.

Of course, warping is not unheard of either. Just not as common a problem.
And can be easily fixed by most machine shops.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
adl3026

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
It could be a gasket problem. It only leaks at the bottom of the spacer. I can't find a gasket specific to the bottom of the spacer and I have had three different sets on.

OP
OP
adl3026

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
Yes, I am using that exact gasket that I purchased from O'reilly's. It leaks on both sides between the manifold and the spacer. That is why I'm thinking it might be the spacer.

Action

Take a piece of sand paper and something flat and make it flat again....works on the carb.
Good luck

jckkys

Bronco Guru
As I said the aluminum EGR spacer is vulnerable to erosion and corrosion from exhaust gasses. Action's suggestion should restore the gasket surface. The Standard VG 209 EGR gasket set is correct for a '73 302. Ford moved the hole in the intake every few years, so you need the right gasket and EGR spacer plate.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
In short, yes. That's why I recommended plugging the the hole. Exhaust gasses have to be sealed with steel or thick aluminum. Constant blasts of hot gasses need a substantial containment. A solid aluminum carb spacer and a gasket designed for EGR spacers would work. A non EGR intake and heat insulating (phenolic) spacer is ideal.

OP
OP
adl3026

adl3026

Loc.
Orlando, Fl
I just wanted to post an update to my problem. I received the Holley 1" spacer today and decided to put it on. Heeding jckkys's advice, I tapped the egr hole in the manifold and plugged it with a 1/2" bolt that I cut off and ground smooth. I put on the Holley spacer and started her up and it wouldn't run. I did finally get it to idle, but it definitely wasn't right. So, I decided to reinstalled the original EGR spacer after I cleaned it up good. I used two thin gaskets at the manifold and the 1/4" gasket between the spacer and the carb. It runs like a top now! Idles smooth and runs great! I've had this truck for almost a year and never had it idle correct, even after changing the carb and gaskets a couple of times. I guess the third time really is a charm. I am so happy with the results! I appreciate all the feedback on this forum! Oh yeah, if anyone needs a 1" Holley spacer 17-72....I have one to sell....cheap....lol. Thanks again!