• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Center Console for EB's? & Speaker Questions

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that I think more about it, I think the dash had three holes. One each for the knob shafts, and a center one for the light bulb. Bulb was in the main unit and stuck through the dash into the dial.

Kind of retro-cool for sure.

And even more common than that cutout piece, I bet there are lots of original radios floating around waiting for a good home. I know a buddy who's keeping his, but if I ever find mine, it's going.

Paul

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I will have to check into it a bit because I definitely want my dash to be true to its originality. That is the main reason I'm putting my head unit in a console because otherwise I would just stick a cheap one in the dash and call it a day.

In my state of exhaustion I had a stroke of brilliance and am wondering if this will work. lol Instead of having to connect the two speakers in the wiper cover to the head unit and other speakers, would it work (since the wiper cover speakers are connected to the iPod through the RCA headphone jack) to let the iPod play through those two speakers using the headphone jack and then get a Wireless FM Transmitter to connect it to the head unit and play it through the other speakers? That would save a lot of frustration trying to connect them and look far cleaner. The real question is will it work? haha

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
sorry don't know how to do a link but do a search on (sub woofer center console or other place). "Thunder26" is working on a console with 2 8" subs but with dealing with school work, its taking a little more time post 23 should give you a rough idea of what it would look like plus there is a couple of other good ideas there.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

sorry don't know how to do a link but do a search on (sub woofer center console or other place). "Thunder26" is working on a console with 2 8" subs but with dealing with school work, its taking a little more time post 23 should give you a rough idea of what it would look like plus there is a couple of other good ideas there.

That definitely looks interesting and is what I was hoping to do except with an Amp and two 8" Subs instead of 3 8" Subs. However, it's been over two months since his last post in there so it looks like he might have given up. :(

I also need a head unit in my console, too, though so that complicates things further. haha

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Has anyone put Subs underneath the front seats? I'm thinking I can build small boxes for 8" Subs that fit perfectly underneath the seats and between the brackets. That should be fairly effective and fun since the bass will shake the front seats.

I wanted to mount a couple amps inside my center console (which hasn't gotten here yet) but I don't know if it will fit. I ordered the $99 one from Tom's and I called and got them to measure it for me and they said the opening was 11" with only 15" total length including the slant. The entire console is 27" long but I figured at least 20" or so was open with the remainder being left for the stereo port and cup holders. :( Would have worked perfectly to connect my 4 roll bar speakers to one amp and two subs to the other. I don't know of any other way to mount the amps.

Thunder26

That definitely looks interesting and is what I was hoping to do except with an Amp and two 8" Subs instead of 3 8" Subs. However, it's been over two months since his last post in there so it looks like he might have given up. :(

I also need a head unit in my console, too, though so that complicates things further. haha

I'm making his with 2 8" subs and a head unit. an amp could be added easily if your not looking for much storage.

Baddmustang I've been working on the frame for it and I'll get some pics to you later on. It's too cold for fiberglass because Denver is being bipolar.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Hey Thunder26 no worries like I said I know school comes first I just thought I point out your plans as this sound like what IVIaverick was looking for.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

I don't need any storage. lol I keep what few things I need in my glovebox. I bought a console from Tom's for the sole purpose of installing a head unit and amps. It appears that I won't have the room for amp's though because it only has around 11" of total length for storage, not including the slanted area, so they would have to be some small amps.

Definitely post pics of bad's when you're done. I am extremely interested.

I had planned on mounting two amps and two subs firing up into the seats under each front seat. When I measured the passenger seat, I had sufficient room to do so. I just realized this morning that the driver's seat doesn't have any room under it which completely destroyed those plans. :(

ugly74

Bronco abuser
why not just get a Tuffy console and put a stereo in it? not messing with the dash, and tuffys have lots and lots of room in 'em too.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Well, I got mine from Tom's for $99 is the main reason. However, they appear to be similar in size and storage space. The thing that is causing the most trouble is the length of most Amps since the larger ones as I need are 15"+ at least. I bought four Wakeboard Tower Speakers to mount across the roll bar and am going to get a few 8" Wakeboard enclosures to mount two 8" subs in but I still have to figure out where to put the Amps. lol That is the main problem. :p

Thunder26

Why do you need run two amps? I personally would run one. There less parts, less wiring less things to go wrong and less things to fix if something is wrong.

Thunder26

Check out an alpine pdx-5 its a good 5 channel amp and allows you to power all speakers from one amp. Sorry I can't give a link right now I'm on my phone and don't know how

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Well, I plan on running four 6x9 or 6.5" Speakers (Haven't decided yet) across the roll bar and two high powered 8-10" subs (most likely 8" since I don't think a 10" will fit in the console) and I didn't think a single amp would have enough juice. The Mono block amps put out a lot of power to 2-ohm subs which was my original plan.

Here are the Subs and Amp I was considering:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500SWR823D/Alpine-SWR-823D.html?search=alpine+type+r+8%22

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105AR7501D/JVC-Arsenal-KS-AR7501D.html?search=jvc+arsenal+amp

I will most likely need 75-100 RMS per channel for the speakers and then 300 RMS or so per channel for the subs. The Alpine PDX-5 looks nice but it's $600 and I can get more power for much cheaper if I use two amps. That JVC is $180 w/ $20 off coupon and I can find a decent 75-100 RMS 4-channel for $100-$150. Trust me, I'd MUCH rather it be simple and use one amp but I'm not sure how I can pull that off.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does a single 8" sub in a center console provide enough bass for old ears? I used to have 2 10" subs in the rear but am unwilling to give up the room. Is anyone having good luck making a custom box fit in the passenger side rear corner to fit either an 8 or 10" that would work very well?

My wife is hoping I have outgrown my earlier days. With fenderwell exit headers and 16" glass packs, I could drown that out with my stereo, so I had to drive with the tach and speedo to let me know what was going on. I could usually drown out the passengers screaming too! ;D

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Does a single 8" sub in a center console provide enough bass for old ears? I used to have 2 10" subs in the rear but am unwilling to give up the room. Is anyone having good luck making a custom box fit in the passenger side rear corner to fit either an 8 or 10" that would work very well?

My wife is hoping I have outgrown my earlier days. With fenderwell exit headers and 16" glass packs, I could drown that out with my stereo, so I had to drive with the tach and speedo to let me know what was going on. I could usually drown out the passengers screaming too! ;D

I'm not sure but that's why I'm wanting to go with dual 8"s just in case. lol Between my dual flowmasters, loud mud tires, and overall engine/road noise I am thinking it's going to take a pretty powerful system to be potent and useful in the Bronco. They definitely didn't make them stereo friendly. ;P

I feel the same way, though. I thought about just installing a sub box in the back but I just really don't want to clutter up the interior. I'm going to try to fit my entire system in just the console and on the roll cage.

Thunder26

Well, I plan on running four 6x9 or 6.5" Speakers (Haven't decided yet) across the roll bar and two high powered 8-10" subs (most likely 8" since I don't think a 10" will fit in the console) and I didn't think a single amp would have enough juice. The Mono block amps put out a lot of power to 2-ohm subs which was my original plan.

Here are the Subs and Amp I was considering:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500SWR823D/Alpine-SWR-823D.html?search=alpine+type+r+8%22

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105AR7501D/JVC-Arsenal-KS-AR7501D.html?search=jvc+arsenal+amp

I will most likely need 75-100 RMS per channel for the speakers and then 300 RMS or so per channel for the subs. The Alpine PDX-5 looks nice but it's $600 and I can get more power for much cheaper if I use two amps. That JVC is $180 w/ $20 off coupon and I can find a decent 75-100 RMS 4-channel for $100-$150. Trust me, I'd MUCH rather it be simple and use one amp but I'm not sure how I can pull that off.

You can do much better than that sub check this out. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%2d8-Sub-woofer.html

PM coming your way soon

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

Thanks Thunder. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Truly a great guy and I'm impressed he hasn't yelled at me yet for all of my indecisiveness and LONG messages. lol I love my Bronco, though, and gotta make sure everything is perfect. ;D

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I totally agree Thunder been real cool about helping out with all this audio stuff and I really like the idea of the sub being hidden in the console nothing like losing all you cargo space for a small sub enclosure.

OP
OP
I

IVIaverick

He's definitely been helpful. I know absolutely nothing about car audio so thank God that someone was here to help. haha

We're working on a pretty cool design for my console though so I hope it comes to fruition and ends up as great as I'm imagining it to be. It should allow me to fit nearly everything in the console and look great in addition. Can't ask for more than that. :)

Luckily, I have no use for cargo space. I realized this when I sold my car a month or so back and it only took me like 5-10 minutes to completely clean it all out when I'd driven it every day for over 3 years. lol I just don't carry a lot with me in the vehicle. All of the paperwork in the glovebox + a flashlight and gas/oil/tools in the back. That's all I need in the Bronco. ;P