• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best/Cheapest 28 spline SB axles?

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I am going to rebuild my rear end and would like some input on the cheapest/strongest 28 spline axles and where I can buy them.I am also going to replace my ring and pinion and all bearings.I really don't want to spend a fortune on it,but I want it back a little better than stock.Thanks in advance.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
WH has 28 spline axles made of the same material as their HD 31 spline axles. One of our eb brothers in Apopka Florida (Jim D.) has been running them for quite awhile with big power and big tires. They seem to be holding up.

brewchief

If you're replacing R&P already then a swap to a 31 spline carrier would be pretty cheap, 31 and 28 spline axles are very close to the same price.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 on the upgrade to 31 splines especailly if your going with lower gearing and bigger tires and or a locker of some type. Price differance is minimal but strenght is grealy improved.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
I agree with the 31 spline swap, easy to pick up 31 spline carrier unless you already have a 28 spline Traction lock or other type of limited slip or locker.

ransil

Bronco Guru
cheapest is to get a half dozen stockers from people having them just siting in there garage doing nothing.

OP
OP
BRONCROB

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Ok I think I am getting the Yukons but need to verify the part numbers.I found some on Amazon for $308 and free shipping.I have a small bearing with 28 spline axles 2&1/2 brakes.I think this is the right part #(YA FBRONCO-1-28)Would someone verify this for me before I order please.

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
X2 on the upgrade to 31 splines especailly if your going with lower gearing and bigger tires and or a locker of some type. Price differance is minimal but strenght is grealy improved.

I agree with the 31 spline swap, easy to pick up 31 spline carrier unless you already have a 28 spline Traction lock or other type of limited slip or locker.

I would heed this advice!
I upgraded my axles, R&P to 31 spl. IF you are looking at a locker in the future you won't find them for the 28 spl. at least in ARB's.
Look at a 31 next to a stock 28 and you will see the difference for the same money. The 31's are much beefier!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
lots of folks run 28 splines for a long time with no issues, depends on how hard you run the rig....

OP
OP
BRONCROB

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Thats what Iz gonna do .If stock lasted since 67 and new are X% stronger than stock ,they should last long enough for me.I wish I could afford Dana 60's front and rear but I can't now so...Any idea about the numbers?