• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best donor vehicle for 351w

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I know I kinda have a thread about this but need more specifics. What van/truck/car that I could find in a Pick and Pull that would have a 351W in it. Don't want the EFI on it, don't want to deal with the hassle right now, maybe later down the road. Also I all ready have a serpentine setup was going to use that came off a Merc Mountaineer and Im assuming it will work. Just seeing the expense of the "little" things that might pop up from a 302 swap. I know my headers will work but would need a different intake. Keep in mind I will be taking it to the machine shop to check everything...Im not going to just throw it in....going to rebuild

Just kicking around the idea since my 302 died.

BruceAH

Loc.
Apple Valley
I wouldn't assume that your headers will fit. Those fabricated by EB suppliers to accomodate the additional height/width of the 351W will be fine, those from generic small block Ford fabricators might have clearance problems.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I prefer a roller block and roller cam........94 and up trucks and vans with Lightning being the oddball with roller block and flat tappet cam. All ran the same roller cam, the explorer cam. Might consider changing heads to the Lightning GT40's or the Explorer GT40P's. The E7's are OK but the GT stuff is better.

Got mine from a 96 E350

Tim

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Serp stuff will bolt up fine. It's a nice upgrade worth pursuing. check the tech library for an excellent write up.

68stang73

Mine is out of a 95 f150 roller motor that I installed rpm air gap on and Fitech efi. Used explorer serp. Has lots of giddy up but it's being stoked to a 408 as we speak.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks, Im running out of luck finding one in my parts, got a couple more places to call this week. I am considering buying a short block from my local Orieleys. If I do that I am assuming that I will still need to buy intake/oil pan/harmonic balancer/flywheel/distributor since none of this off my 302 will work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Somewhere I saw a spec sheet that showed the F150/Bronco 351W got an extra ½ point of compression over the F250/F350 engines.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Somewhere I saw a spec sheet that showed the F150/Bronco 351W got an extra ½ point of compression over the F250/F350 engines.

Could be....My van engine was 8.8:1 as I recall. I decked the block and shaved he heads just a bit to get it up a notch.

Tim

dclack

You may already know this and that's why no one has mentioned it yet. But... if you're going to run the Explorer/Mountaineer serp, you must use the 302 balancer that comes with it but have to get it rebalanced to 28oz; or you can use an old 351/302 28oz 3 bolt balancer with the custom pulley from Wild Horses. But that custom pulley costs about the same as having Damper Dudes rebalance the Explorer balancer.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
local machine shops should be able to rebalance the damper, cheaper than sending it off to damper dudes

dclack

Worth looking around, but I doubt you'll find cheaper. About $15 for flat rate shipping there (reinforce that box and pack it TIGHT!) and Damper Dudes charges $64 for rebalance and return shipping. Good luck finding a machine shop that will charge less than 1 hour of shop time or has a shop rate of less than $80. If you find that later, you won't get the quality you get from Damper Dudes.

dclack

That's a good deal. Lucky you for having a NAPA with a machine shop attached. :cool:

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
You may already know this and that's why no one has mentioned it yet. But... if you're going to run the Explorer/Mountaineer serp, you must use the 302 balancer that comes with it but have to get it rebalanced to 28oz; or you can use an old 351/302 28oz 3 bolt balancer with the custom pulley from Wild Horses. But that custom pulley costs about the same as having Damper Dudes rebalance the Explorer balancer.

Thanks for the info because I was just fixing to ask. I already have a custom pulley from Driven 4x4. SO.... If I do purchase a long block 351w it will not come with flywheel or harmonic balancer. So what your saying is that I can use my 302 harmonic balancer with my 302 flywheel and bolt on my Driven pulley and be fine WITHOUT having to rebalance anything?
Reason Im asking is I'm trying to figure out my budget and what I will have to buy that doesn't interchange from my 302. I know a intake manifold and distributor correct??

dclack

If your 302 is 28oz balanced (can't remember the year Ford changed to 50oz), then yes. Use your 3 bolt balancer and flywheel. And yes, you will need a 351 intake and distributor.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
If your 302 is 28oz balanced (can't remember the year Ford changed to 50oz), then yes. Use your 3 bolt balancer and flywheel. And yes, you will need a 351 intake and distributor.

I cant remember which one it is but its on a '71 302

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

The change was 1981

Whether that was the beginning of the model year or some point during the model year I do not know (Ford is well known for making 'running changes').

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you had a worn out stock 302 with 130hp. A roller 200hp explorer 5.0 is a HUGE power upgrade if you decided to stay 5.0.

dclack

I cant remember which one it is but its on a '71 302

The change was 1981

Whether that was the beginning of the model year or some point during the model year I do not know (Ford is well known for making 'running changes').

There you have it; your '71 is good to go, assuming someone didn't rebuild it and replace the entire rotating assembly (not very likely).

IIRC, the balance change was done with the move to the HO block, right? Then a few years later they made the HO block a roller cam; or is it that the HO blocks ARE roller cam ready, but they didn't add the rollers until ~'84/85 ish.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Most likely going with the Long Block from my local auto parts store but was wondering if I just get a stock oil pan or do I need something special for the Bronco?? Seems some pics look like some oil pans have one low spot and some have 2 low spots...maybe for a front sump oil pump??....