• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best / easiest way to set toe ?

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I've never done it.

Searched, but didn't find it.

Figured I would ask and let you tell me how to do it ?

Thanks !

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's gonna drive a lot better once you get all the wheels pointed in the same general direction.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The BC link is excellent. Good job Chuck!

My little trick to help is to measure front and rear and average them. Set to that. That should be real close to zero toe. Then add in the desired toe in. Recheck front and rear again. Generally that is the fastest and easiest. Beats rolling it forward and back time and time again to keep remeasuring.

And you have to use the tape, there is too much variation in the tire surface (molding lines, tread blocks). Use the exact same marks on the tires for both the front and rear measurements eliminates the tire and rim variables.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I tie a string around the rear axle tube and run it around the outside of the rear tire and then out a couple feet past the front tire to a jack stand. I make sure the string is tight and even with the hubs. Once I have both sides run I move the jack stands in until the string is touching the face of the front tires. From there you can tell exactly how much toe in or out you have. Its takes a little back and forth adjustments but I was able to get it perfect in about an hour. I did this to my solid axle Dodge 2500 a couple months ago. When I got new tires I had the tire shop check my toe and they said it was spot on so I know this method works well.

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Taking her for a test drive now.

Should see a "slight improvement" as the difference started out at 3" (no shitting)

Brnco302

I've done it the BC broncos way twice.Once with a 56 Chevy pickup and Once with the 76 bronco.Then took it to an alignment shop that specializes in older cars and trucks.Both times they said it was perfect and wouldn't touch anything.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I tie a string around the rear axle tube and run it around the outside of the rear tire and then out a couple feet past the front tire to a jack stand. I make sure the string is tight and even with the hubs. Once I have both sides run I move the jack stands in until the string is touching the face of the front tires. From there you can tell exactly how much toe in or out you have. Its takes a little back and forth adjustments but I was able to get it perfect in about an hour. I did this to my solid axle Dodge 2500 a couple months ago. When I got new tires I had the tire shop check my toe and they said it was spot on so I know this method works well.

There is more error possible in this method. A bent rim, out of round tire, or very typical in older trucks having a slightly different track width between front and rear axle. Any of those can add error. The tape trick eliminates those potential errors.

That and I find it easier to find a little tape around the house then a length of string;)

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Thanks for everyone's help.

The only tire chirp now comes at WOT shift from 1st to 2nd.

Awesome !