• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best electric fan?

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
This is for Maui, Nice set-up wondering if this would fit with a v belt set up? I picked one up at Pic n pull. Can you explain the wiring a bit more and did you have to trim the shroud at all? Thanks...Mo

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
This is for Maui, Nice set-up wondering if this would fit with a v belt set up? I picked one up at Pic n pull. Can you explain the wiring a bit more and did you have to trim the shroud at all? Thanks...Mo

It's going to depend on thick your radiator is and how much space you have between the water pump and the radiator. I have explorer serp so I had lots of room. I also installed a champion conversion radiator at the same time which provided an extra 1/4". I simply turned the fan 90 degrees and it fit very nicely. Since I was installing both at the same time I layed the fan on the raditor and drilled the necessary holes. I have two bolts on the bottom and two on the top. It fit perfectly and covers at least 95% of the raditor fins.

I did not have to trim the shroud but I cut a couple small ears off because they weren't necessary for my install. As for wiring, I purchased a harness from the Hollister Road Company that was designed specifically for this fan. The wiring kit includes all the relays and wired up for plug and play.

I changed out the water neck for one that was drilled and tapped for a temp sensor. I installed a 180 degree thermostat and a 190 degree sensor to turn the low speed on. On a Taurus, I believe they had two sensors, one for low and one for high. Rather than a high speed sensor I installed a toggle switch in the cab. If it gets that hot I can just flick the switch.

If you're handy with elctrical wiring you can probably pick up the relays at the junk yard. For the money I thought the wiring kit was worth it. If you design your own wiring make sure it is set up so only one speed is hot at a time. If you google it you'll find a number of schematics. Good luck.

The relay kit could be used on any two speed fan or one speed for that matter. The picture on the website does not do it justice. It alos includes a megafuse and all the correct connections for soldering everything together nicely. It's well worth the $69 to me. Wiring Kit

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Here is the fan mounted on the radiator. The shroud extends about 1/2" below the bottom of the radiator.

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 69

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
maui

nice parts from hollister. I too got the Champion 3 row as they are out of stock on the 4 row. I was thinking about using their shroud and fan combo, but am wondering if it will be enough to cool the EB. I haven't seen anyone running this set up yet, would be nice to get some feedback on it before I buy, I have a Taurus fan already, but I am still on the v belt some I am skeptical on there being enough room to fit either. I have Mustang serp t up waiting and ready on my 351w on the stand, will try and measure to see if it would help, I think the Stang and explorer use the short snout h2O pump too right?....Mo