• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best front locker - options

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
SaddleUp said:
My conclusion is that the ARB Air Locker is the best choice for both strength and reliability. I'll try to add some pics later today once I open the box. (I plan to go pick one up in the next hour or so)

...none that I found discussed comparisons of strength specifically.
You certainly can't go wrong with an ARB. I've never seen a real comparison of strength either; it would be nice to though.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
GJBroncoMan said:
You certainly can't go wrong with an ARB. I've never seen a real comparison of strength either; it would be nice to though.
For me strength is a greater concern than the difference of opinions regarding driving them on the street. I can always leave mine parked on the trailer if the roads are icy which I'll probably do even with an ARB in front. (I've been sideways on the road too many times in 4WD's with big tires on ice so I avoid it)

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
I have had my ARB in for about seven + years, . I have yet to blow a seal or o ring. I air my swampers down to about 8psi with no problems yet.
Just some PM advice and airline advice, change your gear lube every year or at least at the six month mark if not sooner depending on your wheeling.
You can get away with the blue line by doing this, go buy some black vacuum line and run your blue line inside of it. I'm on my original line with no problems.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
david heater said:
I have had my ARB in for about seven + years, . I have yet to blow a seal or o ring. I air my swampers down to about 8psi with no problems yet.
Just some PM advice and airline advice, change your gear lube every year or at least at the six month mark if not sooner depending on your wheeling.
You can get away with the blue line by doing this, go buy some black vacuum line and run your blue line inside of it. I'm on my original line with no problems.
Randy's suggested running steel braided line. I need to get extra line anyway simply because I need to run it clear to the back so I might get steel braided. At any rate I'll probably upgrade the line.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
SaddleUp said:
Randy's suggested running steel braided line. I need to get extra line anyway simply because I need to run it clear to the back so I might get steel braided. At any rate I'll probably upgrade the line.
Nothing against the steel line, I have mine in blue wrapped both front and rear. I shop here who set up my front end gave me this idea, he has been doing it this way since the ARB came out with no problems. Just in case

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
david heater said:
Nothing against the steel line, I have mine in blue wrapped both front and rear. I shop here who set up my front end gave me this idea, he has been doing it this way since the ARB came out with no problems. Just in case
Thanks. If the line turns out to be long enough I'll probably do that.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Build the 609.

Attachments

• topsteer-(2).jpg
    topsteer-(2).jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
mxpaz said:
Build the 609.
I will eventually but right now it is too much dollars and too little time. I figure even if I wait out good deals on some of the parts it will still cost at lease $2K. On a short time schedule that would probably double. Even then it would be down for a few weeks. My sales are also slow right now so I don't want to cut any further into my safety cushion. Once things pick back up and I build up a larger cushion again then I'll look at the 609 again. It will probably follow the coilovers and full hydro steering now though.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:

I went the stainless braided air hose route, with steel AN ends..I took one look at the plastic line and brass fittings that came with the ARB and stuck it all on the shelf to use for 'something else'. McMAster Carr has all the stuff you need as far as making up your own line, inc. various ends and adapter fittings in steel (or stainless steel).

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As promised here are a few pictures. The first one shows the pieces of the Detroit Locker I dug out of the bottom of the housing. Today I dug about twice as many as this out in addition to these that were sitting behind the ring gear. Fortunately they broke off fairly clean so there are not a bunch of shavings in the case and none of them fed through any bearings or the gears. The following pics are of the ARB Air Locker along with everything that came with it followed by a comparison picture of the Detroit Locker before I pulled it out.

Attachments

• SaddleUp93.jpg
    SaddleUp93.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 29
  • SaddleUp94.jpg
    SaddleUp94.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SaddleUp95.jpg
    SaddleUp95.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 18
  • SaddleUp96.jpg
    SaddleUp96.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 18
  • SaddleUp97.jpg
    SaddleUp97.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 12
  • SaddleUp99.jpg
    SaddleUp99.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 15
  • SaddleUp98.jpg
    SaddleUp98.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 24
  • SaddleUp100.jpg
    SaddleUp100.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 38

broncodude_73

i love my detriot. You are the first person that I have heard of that has had problems with it. I don't know much about the elactrac but my friends run arbs and ox. They both work great and they have never had problems with either. But I have heard of arbs breaking a couple of times when we went to superlift orv and at the last uroc event we went to in farmington.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
broncodude_73 said:
i love my detriot. You are the first person that I have heard of that has had problems with it. I don't know much about the elactrac but my friends run arbs and ox. They both work great and they have never had problems with either. But I have heard of arbs breaking a couple of times when we went to superlift orv and at the last uroc event we went to in farmington.
My brother split the side gear in one last year during the SOB trail run. It was less than 2 months old so they replaced it under warranty. I've also heard of a few others that have had them break as well. Generally speaking though they are considered to be bulletproof.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
get used to this: :-*
"hey, your front tires arent turning"