• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Kill Switch/Theft Deterrent

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Well for the first time ever the top is coming off.  Unfortunately, we live in a world where people are not always nice.  So, does anyone have any ideas for a great kill switch (besides removing the coil wire) for the EB?  <br><br>Thanks<br><br>Yes I have a Club also, the real thing too.  :p

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I use a Club and also I lock and chain my NP435 and T-case shifters together.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Ive wondered the same thing. The only thing I could think of was good insurance.
gopostal.gif

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Right, have you seen some of the posts about insurance?  I don't think I want to rely on some money sucking company for replacing my time and $$.  I want my Bronco.  Just don't try to steal it at my house because I also believe in the 2nd Amendment.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have a 20 amp switch hidden under the dash that is connected to the negative side of the coil. Flipped, it disables the ignition altogether - just acts like it wont start

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have had a switch on the power side but two have ultimately failed - stranding me where they sat. I figure the same effect can be accomplished by interupting the circut

74bronc

Bronco Guru
One that works for me is to turn the fuel selector valve so that it is in the up position.  This shuts off the fuel flow.  Unless the hoser that is trying to steal your Bronco is familiar with EB's, they wouldn't get far.  Mine will run for about 30 seconds before it dies.  Most thieves are not going to want to troubleshoot something that wont run on the side of the road.  Just an idea.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
That is a good idea.  That would definitely be an addition to whatever else I end up doing.  Have you tested that out?  I may just drive mine like that and see how far I get.  Do I have to drive like a thief...  :p

BroncoDarin

Loc.
Spokane, Washington
All of your ideas sound pretty good but does a kill switch really matter when the thief pulls up with a truck and hooks a chain to your bumper and drags it down the road.  I am trying to think of a way to lock the front and rear drive shafts that will prevent it from rolling at all.  Figure this would throw the thief of a little and decide that it may not be worth stealing.  Just trying to ponder some ideas. ::)  I also thought it would be pretty cool to find a way to run a couple of extra battery leads to the body that would give an unsuspecting thief the charge of his life!  Wouldn't want to forget to disarm though!! :eek:<br><br>Anybody else have any unconventional ideas???

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I like the idea of electrifying the body. Here's a twist, how about using an invertor to put 110v to the seat!

BroncoDarin

Loc.
Spokane, Washington
Alright, I knew that if we all put our minds together we could come up with a good one! ;D  That would definately shock the shit out of them in every possible way.

darnoldy

Loc.
Texas
maybe someone could fabricate some sort of removeable shifter, then you could leave it in gear and take the shifter with ya, or somethin like that..<br>Daniel

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I like that :eek:<br>
<br>One that works for me is to turn the fuel selector valve so that it is in the up position.  This shuts off the fuel flow.  Unless the hoser that is trying to steal your Bronco is familiar with EB's, they wouldn't get far.  Mine will run for about 30 seconds before it dies.  Most thieves are not going to want to troubleshoot something that wont run on the side of the road.  Just an idea.<br>

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
THe gas tank switch valve works, it has worked on me a number of times :) I replaced my stock one with a "similar" setup from NAPA, however the on/off/on positions aren't the same. Soooo...... <br><br>As suggested earlier, one of those brake line locks should do the trick.