• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best motor tranny combo

Dademmy77

Loc.
Florence, SC
I have decided to pull original motor & tranny & go with efi motor & tranny. What year & model is best combo. Example: 92-93 bronco, or explorer etc.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I like the Explorer 5.0/4r70w combo. 96’-01. It fits better than the truck EFi’s and the accessory drive is shorter than any other, allowing the use of the fan and fan clutch.
The trans is electronically controlled, has a better 1 and 2nd gear ratio, compared to the C4 or AOD. Has a useable OD and an electronic lock up torque converter.

Mark

JCBombardier

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested in selling your old setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You can easily add efi to your existing engine. If its in good condition, all you really need to swap is the intake manifold, add a few sensors and wiring.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I had EFI on my original 289 and C4. It worked nice was an easy stepping stone to get EFI set up without breaking the bank. Then I went to a forged Mustang 5.0 with Explorer serpentine and that is really good for power and reliability. Then I swapped the C4/Dana20 for a 4R70W/NP205 and that was a REALLY nice upgrade. More launch torque (lower first gear) and overdrive.

If I was doing it all in one shot and I had a really full wallet I would go Mustang or Explorer EFI on a 5.0 stroked to 347 backed by a 4R70W / NP205. 351 sounds great but the obstacles are not worth it (intake, headers, accessory drive).

75Bronc

I bought a 1990 F250 with a 5.8l 351w and a ZF5 transmission for $1500. I am swapping in the engine and transmission. I have just about got it back on the road. I too went from a 302 and C4. The front dress is a little long but will clear. The EFI however will not clear the hood. Luckily I was already running FiTech.

I think the ZF5 Granny Low and Overdrive will compliment the 351W in a bronco for my application. I haven't driven the bronco yet, but the donor drove nice! What are your goals for the rig? Street? Offroad? Is it lifted or stock?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How will you use it? Do you want auto or stick? Tire size, gearing, any plans to change either of those two? How spunky do you want it? What transfer case gearing works for your planned usage?

It isn't just an engine, nor and engine and transmission. It is the whole package from the engine to the rubber that has to work together.

bsquared

Contributor
I'm with 75Bronc about the ZF if you want a manual. (can't speak to the auto tranny) '96 Exploder + a ZF is a great combo with 4.11 gears and 31" tires. I'm just now going through the pains of making it full on Exploder EFI. It is a lengthy process to rework the 96 harness and fab up little things, like the throttle linkage, but it is very doable. Some pics of the process. Cheers, B2

Attachments

• EngineTrans.jpg
    EngineTrans.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 120
  • AfterWire2.JPG
    AfterWire2.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Rebuild7wHarness.JPG
    Rebuild7wHarness.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 126
  • HarnessDone2.JPG
    HarnessDone2.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 115
  • ReadyDropFront2.JPG
    ReadyDropFront2.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
D

Dademmy77

Loc.
Florence, SC
It is an automatic & want to keep it that way. Need help on gearing & technical stuff cuz I'm new at this. No plans for a lift. Doesn't have to be super strong just dependable daily driver. My now 15 year old daughter will be driving it at some point.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
For your use is different compared to for my use.

For you and your daughter an Explorer/Mountaineer EFI 5.0 and 4R70W transmission would work very well.

Depending on your tire size and which gears the Bronco has, to be able to use the overdrive you may need to go a step or two higher in gear ratio number.
Most Broncos came with 3.50 gears, 4.11 was also common and a few, usually those with a six cylinder, came with 4.56 gears.

OP
OP
D

Dademmy77

Loc.
Florence, SC
Thank you all for the great responses. I will def be needing help with this project so I hope I don't wear out my welcome.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Explorer 5.0 and 4R70W is probably a good choice from the sounds of it. Often the best way to get the powertrain is to find a complete Explorer. They can be had pretty cheap right now. Get one that was well taken care of, maybe a light wreck to total it out. You will want everything from the cooling fan back. All the wiring, lots of small parts. Getting everything in one complete compatible package. No trying to source little parts.

2WD versions of the Explorer will require a transmission rebuild to put a 4WD tailhousing on. Aftermarket tailhousings and output shafts make bolting the stock Bronco Dana 20 easy to do. 4WD versions of the transmission have a couple different adaptor options. Using the ZF adaptor can bake it a bolt together, no rebuild needed.
There is also the NP205 option, but you need to find a married Ford NP205. They were super common and easy to find but are getting scarce and the prices are going up. But it is also a big heavy transfer case with a lame low range ratio. The low range won't matter on the street, but if you ever go off-road it will matter.

The 4R70W transmission is a great transmission. But it takes deep axle gearing to really work good. I didn't see tire size mentioned so I can't come up with what gearing will be needed. But a good ballpark is gear it for 2000 RPM @ 60 MPH. Use .70 for the overdrive ratio and whatever size tire you plan to run. Many online gear ratio calculators. Don't overlook proper gearing. It matters more for how the truck drive than the engine. If the gearing is too high, even a high power engine will feel like a complete dog. Don't fear the gear is a motto often used with a lot of success.

Rickb1b

I have two broncos. One has 351, FITECH, NV3550, 4.11 gears and 31 in tires. I like this combo the best. The other has an explorer 5.0, 4R70W, 4.56 gears and 31 inch tires. This one is nice, but was a lot more difficult to build. Originally it had 3.50 gears, these were to tall to enjoy driving. I had to switch to 4.56.

If I had to do it again I would do a 3.51w with explorer front dress, 4R70W, Explorer EFI, NP205, 4.11 gears and 31 inch tires. Huge advantage to using the np205 with 4R70W. You can also use the explorer computer to control both the efi and Trans. EFI guy can program a explorer computer to control the 351W.

OP
OP
D

Dademmy77

Loc.
Florence, SC
I plan on using whatever size tire came stock on the 77 sport. No plans for off-road. I would go up in tire size if it would widen the stance to help with rollover but don't want to cut wheel wells or ad a lift.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D 351W and any trans you want . I use a top loader 4 speed wide ratio still like to bang gears 33's and 4:11's works well. I do have a auto sitting in the shop when I get to old to bang gears. (75 in may) good luck with your choice.%)%)%) Bill ;D:D:cool: