• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Oil Filter For Your Rig

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I prefer Bosch and Wix filters myself. I've never had an issue with either. Years ago, I had a hot rod VW engine that would literaly blow up a cheaper FL1A filter within a few miles. They would bulge out, then blow out at the seams. This happened with Valvoline and Frams. After switching to Bosch I never had any problems, the cases never even bulged.

I've had several machine shops tell me their warranty's were void if I used ANY Fram filters on their engines.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After researching this for my PowerStroke diesel , I don't use frams for anything any more. Usually Purolater.

For the Powerstroke , I have on the shelf , but not used any yet , a filter that has a built in bypass section. Can't wait to put that in and see how it works with that dirty diesel oil.
I have noticed that my oil has been getting cleaner in the diesel since I started using the Purolaters. At close to 10k on the oil , I can still see through it enough to read the dip stick. Definitly wasn't that way with the frams , even at 5k changes.
Rotella synthetic 5w-40.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed a dual filter Amsoil bypass oil filter system about 6 years ago. I can honestly say that I haven't noticed any difference between that engine and others on 5K oil changes as far as visual characteristics of the oil goes. I use good quality filters and synthetic oil.

horseman

amsoil and royal purple filters will filter the smallest particals and last the longest with a syn oils.There really no question that they the best filters however with dino oil I will agree with the others that WIX filters top notch.

Broncology

Bronco Driver did a comparison article way back when in one of the issues. It was some useful information. I use a K&N oil filter.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just for the record I had used mostly Fram filters on my bronco since it was new although I use motorcraft mostly now. but anways my 302 Still has STD rod and main bearings still after 1 rebuild and 300,000+ total miles on the engine. I think as long as you change the oil regularly especailly on carbed engines just about any filter will work.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
definitely wix. carquest uses them as their house brand too

Last edited: